My first pellicle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munsoned

Reaction score
I just checked my Flanders Red last night to see a nice, white, powdery pellicle on the top. I've been waiting for that bad boy for over a month now. I was really starting to get worried.

I pitched the Roselare directly (did not start with Cal Ale or anything else), but have not used a wooden dowel as many others seem to have done. I was just too lazy to sanitize the thing. So, I'm just using a carboy cap on a glass carboy, and a blowoff tube.

I was just too lazy to sanitize the thing. So, I'm just using a carboy cap on a glass carboy, and a blowoff tube.

Dude....its a wild beer, there are pedio, lacto, brett, sherry flor and sacch in there, i dont think you needed to worry about sanitation, anything that might get in there would be out competed by the bugs already making a home there

I just checked my Flanders Red last night to see a nice, white, powdery pellicle on the top. I've been waiting for that bad boy for over a month now. I was really starting to get worried.
Pellicles are not required for a beer to sour. People seem to think they failed at making a funky beer if they never see a pellicle and that is not the case. Really the only thing a pellicle shows is that there is oxygen present in the fermenter.

Dude....its a wild beer, there are pedio, lacto, brett, sherry flor and sacch in there, i dont think you needed to worry about sanitation, anything that might get in there would be out competed by the bugs already making a home there

Good point!

Back