Brats and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What type of beer do you recommend for cooking brats? My wife braised a bunch in Boulevard Wheat with some onions, and I don't think it added as much flavor as it did work--and cost. I wonder if a stout would be too much? I welcome suggestions for the next try.

I usually use Budweiser for my beer brats. The price isn't too bad and it has a nice maltiness. After grilling, I toss the brats in a pot, add enough beer to cover them, a slice onion, and a bunch of fresh ground black pepper, then simmer for a couple hours.

AFTER GRILLING? huh, I always do my soak and simmer THEN grill.

am I doing this backwards?????

learn something new every day

Try boiling/simmering those brats in a porter. I've never boiled and grilled, I always do one or the other, not both... Though I suppose you could always baste them with porter while they were on the grill. Regards, GF.

I always use a lighter beer (A Pale or Amber Ale, or any lager that soeone may have left here), soak them for an hour, bring them to a boil, then grill them.

I always just soak them in beer (usually BMC), mustard, chili power, garlic, seasoned salt, and maybe a few other things. I cant remember right now.

Soak them all morning then grill. I've never tried boiling them. How long do you boil them for?

Boiling before breaks down the fat and renders it out making for a mealy tasking brat afterwards. Skip the pre grill boil. Cook them long and slow so that they are evenly very dark brown on the outside, turn with tongs, not a fork.
Soak/simmer after. Make a bratwurst hot tub in one of those 13x9 throwaway foil pans, Slice up an onion, but a 1/4 to 1/2 stick butter, some coarse ground mustard and fresh cracked balck pepper and a can or two of American Lager (Bud, HighLife, Hamms, etc) enough to almost cove the brats. Let them simmer on the grill in the hot tub for anywhere from 30min to 3hours. Makes the party easier when you cook before your guests arrive and the food is ready whenever, buffet/sterno style...

Boiling before breaks down the fat and renders it out making for a mealy tasking brat afterwards. Skip the pre grill boil. Cook them long and slow so that they are evenly very dark brown on the outside, turn with tongs, not a fork.
Soak/simmer after. Make a bratwurst hot tub in one of those 13x9 throwaway foil pans, Slice up an onion, but a 1/4 to 1/2 stick butter, some coarse ground mustard and fresh cracked balck pepper and a can or two of American Lager (Bud, HighLife, Hamms, etc) enough to almost cove the brats. Let them simmer on the grill in the hot tub for anywhere from 30min to 3hours. Makes the party easier when you cook before your guests arrive and the food is ready whenever, buffet/sterno style...

Yuk. who tf wants a soggy brautwurst?

And the're also supposed to be pan fried and served, without a bun accompanied by a side of braised sauerkraut and sliced german potato bacon and vinegar salad, so why are we even having this conversation...

I guess Steven Raichlen likes em "soggy" too...
Barbecue University®

edit: and isn't veal the uber no-no in peta crazed California...

Whatever is on sale, tends to be Busch Lite. Boil for 30 minutes, then grill. You want onions? Add them on the side. That's how it's done in Madison.

I guess Steven Raichlen likes em "soggy" too...
Barbecue University®

edit: and isn't veal the uber no-no in peta crazed California...

This guy advocates cooking ribs at 350 deg? That ain't BBQ, that's bogus. Just like soggy brats! (insert evil emoticon here)

The PETA-granola contingency lives in the Bay Area and Hollywood. The rest of us are fairly normal people.

+1 for kaptain karma's method mentioned above. I have tried it both ways, and I like grilling first just to brown the outside. Simmer in enough Budweiser to cover for AT LEAST 2 hours. I have tried many beers, and Bud is the best for brats in my opinion. Hey, it had to be good for something.

Thanks, guys. I will try Kaptain Karma's method, but will have to try it with Sam Adams Boston Lager or similar brew. I have never purchased Budweiser in my life, more than half a century (not of legal age), and would like to maintain that.

Back