Where are my hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I got my order of 30 rhizomes about 2.5 weeks ago, planted them right away, still no signs of anything, the weather is pretty cool here, it just started warming up about 1 week ago.
Out of frustration I dug a rhizome up to check it out, and it looks exactly the same as the day that I had planted it.
Is this normal? Am i to impatient?

I got my order of 30 rhizomes about 2.5 weeks ago, planted them right away, still no signs of anything, the weather is pretty cool here, it just started warming up about 1 week ago.
Out of frustration I dug a rhizome up to check it out, and it looks exactly the same as the day that I had planted it.
Is this normal? Am i to impatient?

RDWHAHB :D Give them time. Once the soil warms up they'll get going. A couple of my plants I had written off as dead finally broke the surface and are going strong now. Keep watering them and tell them about the wonderful beer they're going to make.

Mine are on their fourth year and didn't break ground until the temperature hit 75F for a couple days. Then it got cold again and they stopped growing, then warm, etc.

My cascade is over 6 ft long already and just planted new rhizomes this spring. My centennial are only 3-4ft though. The cascades get significantly more sun. I dug a hole filled it halfway with miracle grow potting soil, put the rhizome down, then covered with more potting soil. It's warm here in TX though.

I planted 6 rhizomes this year and only one has poked up. They had been in the ground 6 weeks and the weather has been in the 90's. Last night I decided the hell with it and dug up the non-sprouters. I could not find two of them, two still looked the same as when I put them in the ground , and one had some growth on it. I replanted all of them but am thinking about trying to find some new rhizomes and replanting the “duds”
Its a little disappointing for a first year grower but what can you say.

Non of mine have broken ground yet and they are two weeks in. I gave into temptation and dug around one and saw the start of the roots. I am so impatient so I need to relax. Then again I have never really done any gardening before this so I guess I have to learn patience.

My first year only 1 out of 3 made it. This year, I bought two more to replace the others. They are growing slowly. Depending on how small the little buds were and how deep you planted it can take a few weeks for them to come out of the ground.

I planted 12 rhizomes from 6 different varieties. I figured if half survived I'd be happy. Well, most were up a few weeks ago. A couple of them didn't sprout up even when their companions were a foot tall. I figured they were duds, but was happy the rest grew. Then last week even they broke the surface! I'm 12 for 12. Patience.

Patience is definitely advised. I finally have bines on two of my plants long enough to train, and sprouts on all for spots. This weeks warmth and sun really helped!

I guess I'll wait it out, it rained quite a bit after they were planted and the soil is pretty compacted now, I'm tempted to dig em all up and replant into a loosend soil mix(prehaps snip the ends and drip it in rooting hormone?), but I'll wait for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

It's been over a month since my last reply, still no hops, prehaps next year I won't buy so many.

I planted 90 rhizomes this spring and 75 percent of them are already over 10 feet tall. I found the ones I planted to deep like 2 to 3 inches under soil took twice as long to break ground, 3 of them I put 4 inches under soil and they never made it through the soil and died. The plants I only put a inch or less of soil over were up in a week and are doing the best. So make sure you didn't put them to deep.

I ordered 2 rhizomes this spring. Only one has grown above the surface so far after 2 months. Very nice sunny location for them. Cascade took off, still waiting on the Centennial.
I have other hops that are unknown years old that I haven't ID'ed completely yet, (might be cascade, they weren't trained previously until I took over them this year), but they are 15 tall and have 10+ bines of this length from various nodes, so at least I have something to fall back on.

Back