Tips on using acidulated malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Since I've never used acidulated malt before, I figured I'd try to learn a little bit more about it since I have an experimental beer recipe in mind that uses it. Of course, I know it's not the same as the sour funk you get from the real bugs for a pLambic, though this beer won't be a lambic. The sour/tang/twang that I'm shooting for is going to be one of the primary features of the beer offset by maltiness and candi sugar. My question is, for a 5-6 gallon batch, how much acidulated malt would be good to use as a offset for malty sweetness?

Thanks in advance, folks. If this recipe works out, I'll be sure to post it. :mug:

I don't think you're going to get any lambic type sourness from this.

"Acididulated malt lowers mash pH, and provides a rounder, fuller character to the beer, enhancing the flavor of Pilseners and other light lagers. Lowering the pH also helps prevent beer spoilage through oxidation."

I don't think you're going to get any lambic type sourness from this.

"Acididulated malt lowers mash pH, and provides a rounder, fuller character to the beer, enhancing the flavor of Pilseners and other light lagers. Lowering the pH also helps prevent beer spoilage through oxidation."
Here's the quote I found on Midwest Supplies:

"Acidulated Malt: This malt is acidulated with lactic acid and can be used to lower mash pH. Use up to 3% in dry stouts to add a tang to the finish. May use up to 1-10% acidulated malt in your grain bill.

I figure if I use enough, I'll get that tang. Here's to hoping, anyway.

I just found some information on the Wyermann site regarding acidulated malt. They said it's made by using naturally occuring bacteria on the grain producing lactic acid. My concern is whether this would introduce any bugs in my brewing system in the same way using a funked yeast would.

My concern is whether this would introduce any bugs in my brewing system in the same way using a funked yeast would.

Grain is crawling with lactobacillus. If you want proof, drop a handful of crushed grain into a fermenter.

My point is, you don't have anything to worry about. The wort is going to be boiled.

Grain is crawling with lactobacillus. If you want proof, drop a handful of crushed grain into a fermenter.

My point is, you don't have anything to worry about. The wort is going to be boiled.
Funny you should say that. I was just thinking after I posted it..."Hey, this is going to be boiled anyway..." Doh. Anyway, the resource I found referred to it being used to provide a lacto-sour funk in Berliner Weisse so I figure I can do it with this beer. Can't wait to give it a try. :D

yeah, just keep your grain away from your fermenters and use proper sanitation ;)

As for acidulated malt...it can add a tang to it. Just start small, don't use too much. That stuff is crazy.

yeah, just keep your grain away from your fermenters and use proper sanitation ;)

As for acidulated malt...it can add a tang to it. Just start small, don't use too much. That stuff is crazy.
Good advice, thanks. The reference online said something like 8% of the grain bill as acidulated malt ought to give it a good sourness. At least, for a Berliner. Sound about right? Like I said, I'm not sure how this will work since this is a different type of beer. It's going to be a sweet and sour beer using candi sugar as the offset to the acidulated malt.

8% sounds like alot. I think that's about the amount I used in a wit once and it was like sour soda. Really weird.

I generally use no more than 0.25 lbs in a 5 gallon batch, and that's pushing it. Of course, I'm not really going for the full on sourness. But, again, I'd say start small and step it up with the next batch. Better to have a good beer that's not quite sour enough than to go too much the first time around.

Also, you can get some of that sourness by using the right yeasts and bacteria strains. You can also use lactic acid post-fermentation.

you may also wish to check out jamil's podcast on berliner weisse:

The Jamil Show - The Brewing Network

I use acidulated malt frequently for pH adjustments, 50-100g is usualy enough. I think it slowly releases its power, so I dough it in erlier than other grains.

If you add too much, you can get some tang in beer taste. 150g in my Hefe weizen made it pretty sourish.

Soon I'm going to try Mosher's recipe that imitates sour wheat beer Gose, it calls for a pound (!) of acidulated malt.

I used a half-pound in a Pils because I thought it would ONLY affect mash pH and not taste sour. I haven't tasted the final product yet but stolen tastings from gravity readings def have a slight sour note going on. Not at all what I was after.

Has anyone used this to try and seriously sour a Saison before?

I ask because I like sour beers but I really don't have the space for a second set of equipment right now. I've been intending to brew a low gravity, traditional Saison (3.5% or so) and I like the idea of using acidulated malt to give it some bite and character to go with the saison characteristics and to make it more refreshing for the summer.

Assuming a simple grain bill of base malts only, say, 5# of base grain...would 1/2# of the stuff be overwhelming? Again, this is the main bite that I'm going for in the brew, and will be the only major flavour characteristic aside from the yeast itself.

Wow, this thread is back from the dead.

The threshold for sourness from acidulated malt is around 3% of the grain bill. Anything less, and you can't taste it, anything more, and you'll pick up hints of it in some beers.

I add 2-3% to most of my beers for pH adjustment, and there is never a sour note.

If you are looking to add sourness, 4-6% would be a good place to start. Any less than 4%, and you might not taste any sourness.

Back