Handcrafted Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just getting back into homebrewing after a 10+ year hiatus after my wife bought me a new starter kit for my birthday. I dug up several old books I had in storage and thought I'd share one of my favorite passages. The book is called "Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

The following jewels are taken verbatim from just pages 72~73 of the book:

"Stiring constantly to advoed brening."

"(This level is not recomended for begeners.) Perform your mashing prosses, and sparge the grains properley. Cook the sweet wort to with the hops for the recomended time. At hot brack remove from heat and chill wort to cold brack."

"Be carfull not to splash the scalding liquied on your self"

"Do not scweez the grains out."

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."

"Most fermentations will start off slow. Ferment lick crazie for a fuw days, and slow down dermaticly well befor bottling. Fermentation can suppres even the pro's some times. Make suer that you use a beer hydrometer and dont geass."

So what do you think? Do these time honored traditions of the early 90's still hold true? Me thinks I need a new book... heh.

LoL! Either the beer is taking effect or that's just pure brilliance. Keep the book for the occaisonal inebriated humor.

The information is valid but the spelling is atrocious. Did Mr. Richards write this for a 10th grade school project?
jeff

Noldar said:
LoL! Either the beer is taking effect or that's just pure brilliance. Keep the book for the occaisonal inebriated humor.

No doubt. The book starts out as if it was editted but quickly goes downhill into drunken flames. Funny stuff...

I just had to dig this thread up for kicks after having lunch with my old brewing partner from the early 90's. He stopped around the same time I did and never got back into it (I was really the driving force). I was telling him how he would just be amazed at what is available now over what we had access to back then before the Internet and the home/micro brewing "boom".

Anyway, we had a good laugh about our instruction manual (i.e. - the subject of this thread) and old Mack who got us into brewing in the first place. Old Mack warrants his own thread - I don't know where Mack gained his brewing knowledge but it certainly wasn't from any book... heh

brewpage.jpg

That almost sounds like that good old southern cookin guy talking, Justin Wilson. I beleve he took a dirt nap years ago but always fun to watch.
"Then we add a little wine, now that good".

watched him heve a half-gal of wine on one of his shows,,,he was hammerd:D

Ah, must have been before spell checking kicked into all word processors. How long before we see typewriters in a museum.

it's amazing that someone published that!

John, I thought you were drunk when you initially typed those verbatim quotes in! it looks like the author, editor, and publishers were all drunk!

BTW, I'm a good ol' fashioned southerner, but can still spell propperley :) ya hurd!

Back