Kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
I have got the keezer up and running, right now its carbing the beer and has been doing so for two days, my question is about hooking up the tap. I got a shank with the kit I ordered from the beverage factory and it has a barb fitting on the end to hook up the line. But I really dont want to use a barb fitting, I would rather have the thread on type hose, which I did order and was installed on beer line they sent also. But I am afraid to cut off the bar in fear of it not sealing well, not to mention the little scratches holding bacteria. So my question is for those who have barbed fittings on thier shanks, do you just unclamp them every time you clean the lines? Just seems like a pain to do because eventually the hose would go bad from repetedly taking it on and off.

Anyway, its not a huge deal if I just have to deal with pulling them on and off, I just assumed that the shanks were always the tread on beer line type, and when I got and saw the barb fitting I just thought about what a pain it could be taking them on/off to clean all the time.

I put some sanitizing solution and water in my keg and put some pressure on it and run that liquid through the lines to clean them. I don't take the line off to clean it. Maybe its not the cleanest but I have yet to run into sanitary issues from doing that.

I put some sanitizing solution and water in my keg and put some pressure on it and run that liquid through the lines to clean them. I don't take the line off to clean it. Maybe its not the cleanest but I have yet to run into sanitary issues from doing that.

I thought of the same thing a few days ago. Just enough to fill the disconnect, hose, and faucet. But I still would like to be able to unhook stuff by just threading it off. I just dont think that is going to be possible with the shank set up I got from beverage factory.

I have had to take out the tap before to put in a support brace since the plastic was breaking. I just cut the line. The hose is pretty cheap and I have a few feet more than I need. But in doing so I also removed any bacteria that could have built up in there.

I clean-in-place by running BLC (beer line cleaner) through, then sanitizer. The only time I disconnect is when the line won't clean up and I replace it.

Don't cut the barb off, find someone to trade with, because you will never get a good seal unless you can machine the end flat.

I run a mild abrasive cleaning solution through the lines, then rinse well by running a lot of hot water through, then the sanitizer.

I don't think the barbs are likely to be a source of contamination. If you want to address the concern, I would just use a foot or two more line than you need per tap, and then when you sanitize your lines, cut the hose at the barb, remove the old hose covering the barb, sanitize the barb and attach the hose where it has been newly cut. This should only waste an inch or so of hose each time.

Again, i don't think its necessary but its up to you

Back