a question on the use of gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to know what people think is the optimal way to use gelatin. Meaning when do you guys added. Also once you have an open pack of Gelatin how do you make sure it does not infect your beer with bacteria? I was also wondering if anyone could suggest a few more clarifying agents. i forgot the irish moss in my last batch and I do not want a unclear beer. What can I do? Thanks

Check this out. Look at BierMuncher's post #6.

Your best bet for clear beer is:

• Fining Agents (Irish Moss, Whirfloc, in the boil and gelatin in 2ndary)
  • Cold Conditioning/Crashing (In the 2ndary after adding gelatin, maintain low temps or cold crash it)
  • Time (having it sit in the primary for 3+ weeks lets you get a nice compact yeast cake, depending on the strain though)

I'd suggest listening to The Brewing Network's Sunday Session Show on Finings/Filtering-- I just listened to it and it was a great wealth of information. For a quick run through, FishinDave's post is a great summary of how to keep your beer clear.

Remember that Gelatin really only takes out yeast haze -- any protein/tannin matter from other sources may not be caught with Gelatin.

Gelatin will remove tannins, protein and yeast to varying degrees. I only use it for lagers and add it to my secondary about a week before I want to transfer it to my kegs. After adding the gelatin I chill it down to about 32F which drops out the yeast, and drops out the chill haze as well. I use the entire small packet of Knox unflavoured so I don't have to worry about storage.

GT

I also wanted to knwo when using gelaton how does one make sure it is sanitized? I mean you cant boil it or it will not work, or so I hear.

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer.

Gelatin A la' BierMuncher

I was thinking on using some gelatin on my next batch. What kind of gelatin I should get and where? Any non-flavor commercial gelatin?
Thanks
Cheers

I was thinking on using some gelatin on my next batch. What kind of gelatin I should get and where? Any non-flavor commercial gelatin?
Thanks
Cheers

Other than buying some at LHBS, this will do:

376.jpg

Back