Belgian wheat ... Help !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whenwood

Reaction score
hello everyone thanks for taking the time read this and hopefully you can help me out !!!!

I have brewed a belgian wheat from a recipe I found on line it consists of :

6 lbs. Wheat Malt syrup extract black rock (60 min.)
2 lbs. Dry Wheat extract (60 min.)
1 oz. Hallertaurer (5 min.)
1 Orange sweet (60 min.)
1 Tsp. Coriander crushed (60 min.)
1 cup Honey

so I boiled the extract , dry wheat , orange and coriander all for 60 mins I put the hops in for the last 5
mins I had the honey in the fermenter and poured it all in there brought it to 75f and added the yeast and yeast nutrient

I'm new to all this and I just want to see how it'll turn out and if I done it correctly ive just been reading and watching a few videos and it seams ive done a few things wrong according to ... so any help would be appreciated thanks !!

I am getting ready to brew a wit myself, Hops would go in at 60 min. coriander and orange peel at 5 minutes.
I am not sure you would have enough bittering adding the only hops addition so late?

What do you think you did wrong? Sounds like you did pretty good to me.

The liquid extract might have been better added later, like 5 minutes instead of 60, but no big deal.

Did you add a whole orange? or orange peel?

What yeast did you use?

EDIT: oops, good point about the hops and bittering, I missed that... you may indeed be quite low on bitterness...

hello everyone thanks for taking the time read this and hopefully you can help me out !!!!

I have brewed a belgian wheat from a recipe I found on line it consists of :

6 lbs. Wheat Malt syrup extract black rock (60 min.)
2 lbs. Dry Wheat extract (60 min.)
1 oz. Hallertaurer (5 min.)
1 Orange sweet (60 min.)
1 Tsp. Coriander crushed (60 min.)
1 cup Honey

so I boiled the extract , dry wheat , orange and coriander all for 60 mins I put the hops in for the last 5
mins I had the honey in the fermenter and poured it all in there brought it to 75f and added the yeast and yeast nutrient

extract for 60
hops for 60
honey for 15
orange and coriander for 5

Did you add a whole orange? or orange peel?

What yeast did you use?

Chess Rockwell is a great handle...pretty sure you only need the orange zest for the perfect flavor. The white pith is bad news, so you don't use the whole peel, just the very thin outer skin

Chess Rockwell is a great handle...pretty sure you only need the orange zest for the perfect flavor. The white pith is bad news, so you don't use the whole peel, just the very thin outer skin

Haha, thanks! That's what I was getting at, I HOPE you only used the zest :) A whole orange? Hmmmmmm....

I seriously doubt you will taste the honey at all. I would have left it out completely.

I would only do the orange and coriander and flameout...not even 5 minutes just whenever you finish the boil, toss it in then.

There would be no point to a 60 min boil if all the hops are added in the last 5 minutes.

This is not necessarily true as a general rule. There are some good reasons for boiling longer, but not really in an all-extract wheat recipe.

For example in a "real" witbier recipe half or more of the grist will typically be pilsner malt, which can give you DMS if you don't boil it at a bare minimum of 60 minutes...most people I know boil it for 90 minutes.

I seriously doubt you will taste the honey at all. I would have left it out completely.

Understandable, you may not taste honey, although I've definitely gotten a good honey character with only a pound in a wit. Plus with a semi-high gravity brew like this, made with all extract, at very worst it will dry it out a little which may be desirable.

I've seen a number of people recommend adding things like fruit, spices, etc. at flameout. If you are adding at flameout, how long does it stay in the wort?

For my first two batches I've used either ice or well chilled bottled water to top off so it hasn't been more than 10 minutes to get to pitching temps. Is that enough time for some spices or fruit rind to make a difference?

MTate37 said:
I've seen a number of people recommend adding things like fruit, spices, etc. at flameout. If you are adding at flameout, how long does it stay in the wort?

For my first two batches I've used either ice or well chilled bottled water to top off so it hasn't been more than 10 minutes to get to pitching temps. Is that enough time for some spices or fruit rind to make a difference?

Yes it's fine. I use a plate chiller and get down to pitching temps within 5 min usually.

This is not necessarily true as a general rule. There are some good reasons for boiling longer, but not really in an all-extract wheat recipe.

For example in a "real" witbier recipe half or more of the grist will typically be pilsner malt, which can give you DMS if you don't boil it at a bare minimum of 60 minutes...most people I know boil it for 90 minutes.

Not stated as a general rule.

Well, I did a Belgian Wit for my first try at homebrewing...here's what I did, I'm sure there are some mistakes but it was fun and definitely a learning experience. I just hope it turns out drinkable...lol...

4oz Belgian aromatic
4oz Flaked oats
4oz Rice hulls
8oz Flaked wheat

2 gallon Steep @150 for an hour, one gallon sparge @ 170 degree.

Added 6 pounds (actually more, used two 3.3# cans but I didn't scrape them clean) Belgian wheat extract and 8oz of Soft Candi sugar after bringing the above to a boil.

Added 1oz German Hallertaur hops (4.3%) at 60 minutes, 1oz at 15 minutes.

Added 1oz of bitter orange at 15 minutes

Added 1oz of Coriander at 5 minutes.

Cooled in ice bath to 70 degrees, moved to 5 gallon fermenter bucket.

Pitched one tube of White Labs Belgian Wit yeast (WLP400).

Added water to bring to 5 gallons.

OG: 1.042

Latest posts

Back