Wow, uhhh Sticky Situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsh22

Reaction score
Well, this is definitely one of my more shameful posts on the internet. :(

Basically, I managed to get glue into my batch of wine (about 3-4 drops to 1 gallon wine). I tried using carpenters glue to seal my airlock to the lid. I waited till i thought it was dry (the inside wasn't) and put the lid on. When that happened a vacuum formed, sucking the glue between the lid and lock.

What I want to know is if it is still drinkable. I have heard from another brewer that the yeast will reject it and filter it out. I am not so sure about it. The glue is a cheap $1.00 carpenters glue form the dollar store. It does not say non-toxic on the bottle :/

Im assuming its garbage, but I hope someone will tell me otherwise.

Thanks

Next time, you might want to try silicone. 100% silicone is food grade and will hold plastics better than wood glue.

Next time, you might want to try silicone. 100% silicone is food grade and will hold plastics better than wood glue.

heh there likely wont be a next time, im getting a REAL primary soon. (I got this used, i think it might have been a garbage can in its past life...)

And yes, I would have used silicone if it was available, but alas the store was closed.

still, any ideas if I can drink this without dying when its done?

If kids can eat it all day long I'm sure you will be fine with a few drops. but if it tastes gross there is no reason not to toss it.

is there much of a difference between carpenters glue and paste though?

Back