Baking Bread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I know what your thinking... baking Bread? What the heck does that have to do with brewing beer? Well I read that old time bakeries got there yeast from breweries, I was just wondering if anyone has tried using the trub to make bread.

Not personally. But an old buddy of mine does it all the time. Makes some of the best bread you'll ever have.

That would be an interesting experiment... let us know if you try it, I bet you could make some very different breads using brewer's yeasts.

Tonight is pizza night so I'll be making to batches of pizza dough, one with the trub the other with regular bakers yeast just in case the trub dough doesn't rise.

I also bake sourdough bread, or did until my starter died. It takes a week to get that stuff going, you take a quart jar and mix a cup of flour and a cup of water, leave the lid off, set it on the counter and stir it every time you walk by it. If you've ever had sourdough bread you'll know why you don't want wild yeast in your beer.

I've read that some people use spent grain to bake bread. I would think you would need to grind the spent grain into a flour-like consistency. I recall reading that using beer yeast in bread takes too long to rise. I've been holding on to this recipe, done by a person named Chad Clancy. I saved it long ago from another brewing forum:

Chad's Spent Grain Bread
---------------------------
1.5 tsp bread yeast (rehyrdrated in 1/2 cup warm water for about 15 minutes)
2.5 cups white flour
1.5 cups wheat flour
1 Tbsp salt
1.0+/- cups spent grain
1/3 cup light DME
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup water

Mix in a bread machine on the dough cycle or a KitchenaAid with a dough hook. The amounts of flour are approximate - add more flour or liquid to get the right texture (just slighly sticky).

After the dough has been mixed and let to rise and punched down and allowed to rise again (doubling each time), turn the dough out onto a floured surface and form into loaves, rolls or whatever. Place in a well greased pan and allow to rise until doubled (keep in a warm area). Bake at 375 deg. F oven for 25-30 minutes until deep brown on top.

The way you get around the slow rise is to make a sponge. The way I do it for pizza dough is, 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp honey, 2 tsp yeast stir til the honey and yeast disolves then add 1 cup flour and stir until smooth, cover the bowl and let it set on the counter. This provides a nice nutrient rich enviroment for the yeast to do their thing, you can make this 12 hours ahead if you wish, a minimum of 4 hours. When you are ready to make the dough you just add the other ingredients, in this case a little olive oil a tsp salt and slowly add flour until it is firm enough to turn out on to the counter and begin kneading. after kneading let it rise like normal, you can let it rise once or twice its up to you.

Waldo said:
The way you get around the slow rise is to make a sponge...

Ah, that makes sense; kind of like making a starter. I bet most people just dump the yeast in and wait.

Have you used different yeast strains and, if so, was there a taste difference?

When you make sourdough bread you use the sponge for the same reason its slow to rise. You can do it with regular yeast to it makes a much better dough for pizza, you get kind of a beer flavor to the crust.

I just finished making a sponge with my trub should know in an hour if its going to work.

P.S. I made a few edits to the sponge recipe you may want to read it again.

This is my first attempt with trub, I'm sure as I brew more beer I will try different yeast to see which is best, I used dry yeast on this batch of beer.

timdsmith72 said:
I will certainly see if he can give me one.

Excellent. The wife would be very happy if I started baking. She's pleased with the homemade beer, but beer and bread? You can't beat that.

Ok. Here's what he sent me...

the dregs from a bottle of beer, feed it 2 tablespoons of sugar add 1/2 cup water
mix 3 lbs bread flour (I use whole-wheat) with about 1/2 cup oil and 1 teaspoon salt
When yeast is foaming add to flour, add just anogth water/beer to get it to all stick together knead for about 10 mins
cover with damp cloth
let rise for 1-2 hours in a warm spot
Knock back and knead for 10 mins, divide into 2 pieces knead each for 5 mins, place in oiled bread pan
bake in 375 oven for 1 hour ( to test if its done turn pan upside down and tap bottom, when loave is out of pan tap bottom with knuggles if it sounds hollow (like your head :p ) tis done if it still sound spongy put back in oven for 5-10 mins

timdsmith72 said:
Knock back and knead for 10 mins, divide into 2 pieces knead each for 5 mins, place in oiled bread pan
bake in 375 oven for 1 hour
Just a suggestion, you might want to let it rise again after it goes into the bread pan.

timdsmith72 said:

the dregs from a bottle of beer, feed it 2 tablespoons of sugar add 1/2 cup water . . .

So in this recipe, you only use the dregs from 1 bottle of beer? That's all it takes? Wow . . . that yeast is powerful stuff!

What about using dregs from the bottom of my primary fermenter? Do you think that would work, and if so, howm much should I use for your recipe?

I'm fascinated by this prospect of making bread with the trub, I'm definitely going to try it!

I used the trub off the bottom of my primary, while it did rise it wasn't a good solid rise and the pizza crust had a bitter taste to it probably settled hops I'm sure, I won't be using trub again :cross: I'm going to try timdsmith72 recipe next.

timdsmith72 said:

the dregs from a bottle of beer, feed it 2 tablespoons of sugar add 1/2 cup water
mix 3 lbs bread flour (I use whole-wheat) with about 1/2 cup oil and 1 teaspoon salt
When yeast is foaming add to flour, add just anogth water/beer to get it to all stick together knead for about 10 mins
cover with damp cloth
let rise for 1-2 hours in a warm spot
bake in 375 oven for 1 hour ( to test if its done turn pan upside down and tap bottom, when loave is out of pan tap bottom with knuggles if it sounds hollow (like your head :p ) tis done if it still sound spongy put back in oven for 5-10 mins

I tried this recipe . . . it was a disaster! I don't recommend it. The yeast in the dregs of a beer bottle is not enough for this size recipe. My dough didn't rise at all, not even a centimeter, and I used the dregs from 2 bottles. I've baked it for 2 hours and it's still doughy in the middle. Straight in the trash, after all that kneeding. Keep in mind, I've never made bread other than in a bread machine. But I don't reccomend following this recipe. You'd be better off making bread with bread yeast.

Bread/Baker's yeast is Saccharomyces cerevisiae, just like ale yeast. I might try using some trub, but not from a highly hopped ale. Maybe my next Mild and I'll wash the yeast once or use the yeast from the secondary.

The spent grain bread is an interesting idea, like a bran muffin from rotor rooter.

A co-worker that also brews just dropped off a big roll of bread he made last night using spent grains from a brew- it is really good. He said that he used regular bread flour and bread yeast, and steeped the spent grains a little in warm water that he then added the yeast to in order to make a sort of starter. He then added that to the flour w/ a little salt, and voila. Very Tasty. He used the grains from a partial mash S.A. Summer Ale clone he just made.

Next brew day I have to try some sort of bread-beer monster creation. Stout bread sounds really good to me for some reason. :)

Back