cleaning out plastic buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
So I got some 5 gallon buckets from local sub shop. Some had pickles inside. I cannot get the smell out of the buckets. I used soap and water. Soaked in bleach water for an hour ( 1tbls per gal). Still smells? Any suggestions other than tossing them? Stronger bleach solution maybe? Or boiling water witha cleaner?

Don't toss them. They are great for storing [and carrying] chillers, hoses, carboy brushes, Auto-siphons, big funnels, mash paddles, etc.

Don't store grains or adjuncts in 'em

I thought so. Can the actual smell ruin other brewing accessories? Like if i put other plastic or hoses in the bucket is it possible the smell can be absorbed into them as well?

I thought so. Can the actual smell ruin other brewing accessories? Like if i put other plastic or hoses in the bucket is it possible the smell can be absorbed into them as well?

DId you happen to read the thread titled "Bourbon Stout Tastes Like Pickles" that I linked???? I do believe that will give you all the insight you will need.

I could imagine this being a though one. My ale pales smell of previous beers, and I can't even get rid of that smell. Throw pickle brine into the mix and I'm sure that problem will compound many times! Like some others said, you can probably find a good use for the buckets still.

one thing that might be considered is using a light to medium solution of muriatic acid and water. You can find the acid at a pool supply store. If you use this, watch yer $ss, that stuff will burn you.

try that for a day. I'd then back that up with a good rinse and some bicarbonate and water to neutralize any of the left over acid.

The bottom line though is buckets are pretty cheap...you may want to opt for a new bucket.

I meant if i stored my plastic equipment in it; could the smell absorb into them. I definately will not put brew in it

I meant if i stored my plastic equipment in it; could the smell absorb into them. I definately will not put brew in it

I would say there is a good possibility since it seems that everything that comes in contact, including grain seem to get tainted by the pickle smell....Maybe your wort chiller, but nothing plastic I would hazard.

As much as I am all for scrounging, recycling and repurposing, and finding free stuff for our hobby. I have to say pickle buckets really just need to be passed by.

Back