Bayou Classic SQ 14 question (before I blow myself up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I got a couple of these from Home Depot, and I went to "assemble" them and I have a question.

The regulator hooks up to the propane tank, and the other end hooks up to the burner. When I originally set it up, I didn't put that little plate between the opening of the burner, and the flame would die out if I tried to turn it up at all.

So I reread the instructions, and realized that I was supposed to put that plate on it. I'm assuming that the plate just keeps the propane moving down the chamber to the tips? The plate can be twisted to allow more air in. Is that all there is to it?

For some reason it just doesn't seem safe that the propane travel down the burner (while on end is essentially open) before it hits the tip and is ignited.

Ok... for some visual aid.

bcbg12_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

A represents where the regulator plugs in to the burner. It also is where the plate goes to cut off some of that open area on the face.

The problem is, behind that face (where the regulator screws in) is hollow. All of section B is open, and the propane travels freely through it. The only thing that I can figure stopping it from coming out is pressure.

I'm assuming that the plate just keeps the propane moving down the chamber to the tips? The plate can be twisted to allow more air in. Is that all there is to it?

Plate is there to restrict airflow to get the right oxygen fuel mixture. That's it as far as I know.

Right, the plate adjusts how much air gets into "B" along with your propane. You have the positive force of the propane shooting down "B", it can't magically come back the other way against that pressure with nothing pushing it from that side. Your reg is 10-20 psi os force "pushing" the propane down the tube.
With that plate off, you're simply getting much oxygen into the mix.
Put the plate one, Light burner, adjust plate until you have Blue flame with the slightest yellow/orange tip. You don't want big orange flames.

You want #4, not #1
300px-Bunsen_burner_flame_types_.jpg

The orifice that plugs into A directs gas down the venturi tube (B) creating a vacuum which enriches the mixture. The plate adjusts the oxygen mixture that can be achieved by that vacuum. It is the same principal as a carburetor.

It is possible however for the flame to travel into the venturi tube if you are not careful in lighting, eg if you were slow in lighting the burner and the subsequent 'flash' when it is finally lit is large enough to engulf the area in flame. If that happens it's pretty obvious and the burner will make a very noticeable and odd sound. Just cut the gas, wait a few seconds, and light it properly after wards. It is not possible for a flame to travel down the regulator hose.

Latest posts

Back