Chemicals and Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elut

Reaction score
Hi Everyone !

Lately, our homebrewing community of Foreign homebrewers established in Korea decided to begin to treat our brewing water. As with everything related to Homebrewing in Korea, it's absolutely difficult to source products locally.

So, we finally found the products we need, but we are wondering the following:

1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.

The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?

2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?

Thanks in advance for the help !

1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.

Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diammonium_phosphate

According to them, it is also known as ammonium monohydrogen phosphate or ammonium phosphate dibasic.

The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?

I can't answer this. But for beer you don't need yeast nutrients anyway. At least most of the time.

2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?

I don't know. But scientific supplies tend to be fairly pure.

Kai

Back