Carbing Kool-Aid??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever kegged and carbed kool-aid? I would think that grape or cherry kool-aid that has been kegged and carbed would taste a lot like soda?? Anyone have any experience with this? Any reason it wouldn't work??

I make one and two liter batches of soda quite often. Sometimes I use Crystal Light (Kool Aid would work similarly), sometimes I use a soda flavored extract, and sometimes I use an original recipe. All of them get force carbonated with a carbonator cap. They turn out great.

Kids have been after me to make 5 gals of root beer and somebody told me they had rootbeer koolaide. I was thinking the same thing. Don't see how it wouldn't work.

It is cheap enough that if it don't you are not out much.

I make one and two liter batches of soda quite often. Sometimes I use Crystal Light (Kool Aid would work similarly), sometimes I use a soda flavored extract, and sometimes I use an original recipe. All of them get force carbonated with a carbonator cap. They turn out great.

+1 on crystal light, it's surprising how quickly we go through it this time of year. It was a great excuse to get another faucet... and if we run out, well I can just hook up this extra keg of beer I have. :)

Well, for those who care, carbing up the grape Kool-aid is fantastic! It tastes a lot like grape soda! My wife and I have been mixing a little vodka in with the kool-aid (lushes, I know) but it's actually really good!

our favorite is 'rape' kool-aid soda:

5 packs unsweetened grape kool-aid
5 packs unsweetened raspberry kool-aid
5 cups sugar
5 cups splenda

5 gallons in a corny keg, 40psi for 3 days at 38f.

really good over 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream on a hot day :)

our favorite is 'rape' kool-aid soda:

5 packs unsweetened grape kool-aid
5 packs unsweetened raspberry kool-aid
5 cups sugar
5 cups splenda

5 gallons in a corny keg, 40psi for 3 days at 38f.

really good over 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream on a hot day :)

Nothing better than 5 gallons of rape.

I do 5 gallons of lemon aid and have done tang also. Both will carbonate.

I just carbonate a keg of water. And add the seltzer water to a 2 liter with the Kool-Aid or whatever mix. It's good.

Have also done a concentrated tea and added the seltzer to that. It was interesting.

I just carbonate a keg of water. And add the seltzer water to a 2 liter with the Kool-Aid or whatever mix. It's good.

Have also done a concentrated tea and added the seltzer to that. It was interesting.

That's a great idea. Do you put the water in boiling hot to keep it preserved longer/carbonate faster?

That's a great idea. Do you put the water in boiling hot to keep it preserved longer/carbonate faster?

Huh?

No. I don't boil the water I use for seltzer.

You can also get the coffee/Italian soda syrups for an easy way to mix up a drink. Works really well and doesn't use much syrup at all. a few shots in the glass, top off with seltzer, and whalah Mango Soda.

Water will carbonate faster if it's near freezing. Because solids dissolve better in hot liquids, it's easy to understand how that's counterintuitive. However, it's true.

I knew that colder liquids would hold more gas, but I figured CO2 might go into solution faster if the liquid was hot. You're probably right, though.

Boy, these cold-medications are really doing a number on me.

:drunk:

By putting boiling water in your keg, you will reduce(If not eliminate) your chance of having pathogens present. It should allow your seltzer be good for many, many months.

The keg is sanitized and the water has chloramines. I also carbonate at 26 PSI and 38*F. IIRC, the hose length is near 20 foot to balance a pour through a beer faucet (no restrictor).

I am not thinking much of anything will survive those conditions.

Huh?

No. I don't boil the water I use for seltzer.

You can also get the coffee/Italian soda syrups for an easy way to mix up a drink. Works really well and doesn't use much syrup at all. a few shots in the glass, top off with seltzer, and whalah Mango Soda.

Now that's a great idea.. do they sell those at Walmart?

Latest posts

Back