Taste differences between using corn sugar or DME to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyTaco

Reaction score
What flavors if any does DME add over using corn sugar to prime with? Im doing a raspberry wheat and a nut brown right now and was thinking about trying it with one.

Since the amount of priming sugar is small, there is very little flavor addition. I would not, however, prime a wheat with a dark extract. Corn sugar is the safest.

Cool, thanks. I just got back from the home brew store with a 1lb bag of corn sugar. Ill save the DME for my next batch.

I think the difference is more aesthetic than taste. I'm not sure I taste any difference, but beers primed with DME seem to have a denser head of smaller bubbles, to me.

I use both, with no particular rhyme or reason to which I decide to use when.

cweston said:
I think the difference is more aesthetic than taste. I'm not sure I taste any difference, but beers primed with DME seem to have a denser head of smaller bubbles, to me.

I use both, with no particular rhyme or reason to which I decide to use when.

Yep I noticed a denser head with the smaller bubbler. More beer-like than the soda-like bubbles you see with dextrose. I'll use DME from now on.

If you want to be really fancy you could kraeusen your beer by brewing 2L (1 1/2 quarts) extra wort and storing it in the fridge and prime with that.

Latest posts

Back