Need help formulating a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for someone that would be so kind as to help me formulate a recipe for my first time. Normally I would take a lot of time and read up on what's what but at this time time is not on my side. I would like someone to talk me through the process of choosing the grains, hops, etc. and why they are chosen and approximately how much of each should be chosen. This will be a huge learning experience for me. I don't have an exact style chosen yet but I do know it needs to be very light. Flavor is not the most import attribute for this beer as this beer will be meant to be drank in mass quantities over a short period of time. I will explain to whomever decides to help. I think we are looking for a light lager similar to Coors Light or Pabst, etc. It should be a very simple recipe. But if anyone thinks they can help talk me through this I would be HUGELY appreciative. Thank you in advance.

Hello all. I am looking for someone that would be so kind as to help me formulate a recipe for my first time. Normally I would take a lot of time and read up on what's what but at this time time is not on my side. I would like someone to talk me through the process of choosing the grains, hops, etc. and why they are chosen and approximately how much of each should be chosen. This will be a huge learning experience for me. I don't have an exact style chosen yet but I do know it needs to be very light. Flavor is not the most import attribute for this beer as this beer will be meant to be drank in mass quantities over a short period of time. I will explain to whomever decides to help. I think we are looking for a light lager similar to Coors Light or Pabst, etc. It should be a very simple recipe. But if anyone thinks they can help talk me through this I would be HUGELY appreciative. Thank you in advance.

Hmmm. It sounds like you are looking for a keg of Coors Light, but....if you want to homebrew something simple you probably don't want to brew a lager. The recipe would be 'simple', but the process would take many weeks/months longer than brewing an ale.

You'll likely want to brew an American Cream Ale and shouldn't need to go much further than Biermuncher's Cream of 3 Crops recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

a simple beer you said?

shopping list:
5 pounds DME
1 ounce northern brewer hops
hop bags

recipe
bring water to boil
add DME
boil again
add 0.5 ounce northern brewer hops
boil that for 60 minutes
0.5 ounce northern brewer hops