single hop IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novacane

Reaction score
Anyone have a single hop IPA recipe ? Ive never brewed one and want to make an attempt ...Im thinking using Citra .:mug:

Anyone have a single hop IPA recipe ? Ive never brewed one and want to make an attempt ...Im thinking using Citra .:mug:

This is more of a Pale Ale to bring out the flavor and aroma profile of the hop being used.

Give this a shot:

OG is 1.052
IBU 35
5 Gallon batch
70% Efficiency

10.5 lbs of Briess Pale Ale Malt
0.50 lbs Briess Caramel 20L or 40L for a smidge darker

0.50 ozs Citra 13.20% @ 60 mins (or 0.50 oz of Magnum if you dont want to waste Citra just for bittering)
0.33 ozs Citra 13.20% @ 15 mins
0.33 ozs Citra 13.20% @ 5 mins
0.33 ozs Citra 13.20% @ 1 mins
0.82 ozs Citra 13.20% @ 0 mins (flameout or whirlpool)
2.18 ozs Citra 13.20% @ Dry Hop

Yeast: US-05 yeast - Pitch at 64°

Single Infusion Mash for 60 mins @ 153°F

After 2-3 weeks then Dry Hop for 7 days
Cold Crash and bottle or keg

I have used Citra with great Northwestern pale malt with great success. These were my first two AG batches and I am using them again this Sunday. I have the pellets and some whole hops (plus the bag to boil em' in). Was planning on using the whole hops at the beginning of the boil to as much out of them as possible.

Just brewed an all simcoe ipa in my signature. It is about to be tapped and so far, very tasty. Really hones in on that simcoe flavor and aroma. I had a ton sitting around so I gave it a shot.

Here is my personal preference:

I like Citra in conjunction with other hops. Brewed in an hopbursted Citra IPA (Citra-burst?) and it was good but not great. Felt a little too one dimensional. Again, good but not great.

For SMaSH beers, I can recommend:

Chinook: Stone's signature SMaSH hop for Arrogant Bastard. Citrus and pine flavor/aroma.
Cascade: Great orange rind flavor with some spice and all around super hop. It's my go-to flavoring hop addition.
Falconer's Flight: Actually a blended hop of a few different varieties. Makes for an amazing IPA with complex hops flavor. I make my Rye with it.
Belma: Recently had a buddy's SMaSH with Belma. Great lemon citrus, mango flavors and strawberry starburst aroma.

Back