is there a Gluten free beer kit available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey17

Reaction score
Looking for Gluten free kits

a friend of mine cant drink normal beers and would like to make a beer for him thats gluten free

can you buy kits or do i have to brew this beer from scratch

if i can buy kits does anybody know what to buy

Ireland huh? I wonder if you can find a source for sorghum somewhere? If you can, just substitute the sorghum for malt extract 1:1 and brew it like normal....or you can look through the gluten free forum for recipes and I have some in my dropdown...

I know there is a link to a kit somewhere on here from a guy named androshen but I don't know if they could ship to you.

I am currently working on this one ... http://www.homebrewers.com/product/ALP1050/Gluten-Free-Honey-Ale-Beer-Kit.html

Racked it tonight and it is smelling great and tasting rather promising ....

THanks a million for this Link ,, will pass this onto my Supplier and see if i can get this ,, will you let me know how you get on with it ,, im finding it hard to get gluten-free beer here in Ireland and very few supplier in The USA and Uk will send to Ireland ,,

Ill find some soon ,,

Thanks a million for the link

Having commercially available gluten free beer is not really a beneficial thing ... my wife and I have at least 4 different brands we could choose from. We have tried them all and can assure you that they are all overpriced (about twice the cost of a regular beer) and *very* disappointing to taste.
Those 2 reasons are why I ventured into homebrewing in the first place.
After my first batch, based on lcasanova's American Brown Ale recipe, I am hooked on both the cost and (more importantly) the taste.
I am trying the kits in order to broaden my horizons, so to speak, but will no doubt simply continue buying the ingredients and just duplicate the kits if I like them as they are expensive also. I figure I can duplicate this current kit for only half the cost.

I have developed a gluten free beer for my wife. Won second place at the Santa Cruz County fair for specialty beer. You can get the recipe from breworganic.com (Seven Bridges brew supply Co-op.). 800-768-4409 This brew came out like a Belgian Wit. Now working on new variations. Brewed from Buckwheat.

I have developed a gluten free beer for my wife. Won second place at the Santa Cruz County fair for specialty beer. You can get the recipe from breworganic.com (Seven Bridges brew supply Co-op.). 800-768-4409 This brew came out like a Belgian Wit. Now working on new variations. Brewed from Buckwheat.

For what its worth, I looked on this site and couldn't find anything. They do not have malted buckwheat, although they do have toasted buckwheat.

THanks a million for this Link ,, will pass this onto my Supplier and see if i can get this ,, will you let me know how you get on with it ,, im finding it hard to get gluten-free beer here in Ireland and very few supplier in The USA and Uk will send to Ireland ,,

Ill find some soon ,,

Thanks a million for the link

Can you get sorghum malt tubs where you are?

What type of beer do you like normally?

For what its worth, I looked on this site and couldn't find anything. They do not have malted buckwheat, although they do have toasted buckwheat.

I work here E-mail us at BREWORGANIC.COM or call 800-768-4409 we have the supplies & recipe. Give me your e-mail & i'll sent it too you, recipe has malting instructions.

I work here E-mail us at BREWORGANIC.COM or call 800-768-4409 we have the supplies & recipe. Give me your e-mail & i'll sent it too you, recipe has malting instructions.

this might be a dumb question. but how does one go about malting a grain AFTER toasting it. i thought that the process of toasting KILLED the grain

stevezab said:

I'd be interested in the kit info as well.
pwimer 'at' gmail.com

Thanks

I do see raw buckwheat on their website, which I'm sure is what they'd be having you malt. I'm not sure what temperature kills grain, but I can't imagine calling anything below that temperature 'toasting' or 'roasting'. Drying, perhaps...

I do see raw buckwheat on their website, which I'm sure is what they'd be having you malt. I'm not sure what temperature kills grain, but I can't imagine calling anything below that temperature 'toasting' or 'roasting'. Drying, perhaps...

Approx 180F.

Approx 180F.

For how long? I'm just wondering because I would assume that if I take some freshly malted grain and 'kiln' at say 175, until its dried out, that it is dead...

Although, I'm sure that un-sprouted grain is somewhat more durable than sprouted, as that's the whole POINT of making seeds, so that they can survive until conditions are favorable for growth...

I think we may have drifted off topic. :D

For how long? I'm just wondering because I would assume that if I take some freshly malted grain and 'kiln' at say 175, until its dried out, that it is dead...

Although, I'm sure that un-sprouted grain is somewhat more durable than sprouted, as that's the whole POINT of making seeds, so that they can survive until conditions are favorable for growth...

I think we may have drifted off topic. :D

:off:I would assume as long as it takes for the whole grain (the inside) to reach 180F.

I do not think you can roast grain and have any enzymes live.

a friend of mine cant drink normal beers and would like to make a beer for him thats gluten free

E-mail me at [email protected], I' ll send you my gluten free recipe - Won 2nd place at the Santa Cruz County Fair, California, USA. in specialty beer.

You malt the buckwheat seed ( sprout the wet seeds in a cool dark location ), then roast the sprouted seeds. I'm in the middle of the process right now. Brewing Buckwheat beer Sunday. Cheers

Mountain Man Brewing
Santa Cruz Mountains, Brewer; Steve Zabel
2nd place 2010 Santa Cruz Co. Fair specialty beer

Gluten-free Buckwheat Beer

Ingredients for 5 Gallons

3 Lb. Malted buckwheat (instructions for malting below)
1 ¾ cup corn sugar
1 oz. New Zealand Saaz organic pellet hops
2 oz. New Zealand Hallertauer Hersbrucker whole hops
½ oz. German pearle pellet hops
6 lb. Rice syrup
½ teaspoon Irish Moss
1 pkg. Saf T-58 dry Ale yeast
5 oz Corn Sugar for bottling sugar

Instructions for Malting Buckwheat;

Since as gluten-free homebrewers we can’t just go our home-brew supply store and buy malted buckwheat, we must malt it ourselves in order to brew with it. This is a pretty simple process. Take your raw buckwheat (uncooked and untoasted) Rinse and let sit 30-48 hrs. Completely submerged in water, drain and rinse every 8 hrs. or so. (The buckwheat will expand as it soaks up some of the water and produces a sticky oily substance, which should be rinsed off.) Now put the buckwheat in large cookie sheets approx. ¼ to ½ Inch. layer and let sit in a cool dark place. After one day you should see rootlets forming. Let the buckwheat sit for about two days or until the rootlets are about twice as long as the grain body. Bake at 200-250 degrees for approx. 2 1/2 to 3 hours until buckwheat becomes hard and crunchy (and tastes like Grape-nuts). (Optional; At this point you can increase the temperature and dark roast your buckwheat for a darker brew.)

Use a rolling pin, glass jar, or grain crusher to crush the buckwheat, Your buckwheat is now ready to brew with as you would normally brew your grains.

Instructions for Brewing;

1. Put your malted buckwheat in a grain bag.
2. Bring 1½ to 2 Gallons of water to 160-165 degrees turn off heat, add the grain bag, and allow the grain bag to soak for 40-60 mins. At 150 degrees.
3. Remove the grain bag. Bring to a boil and stir in the rice syrup and 1 cup of corn sugar.
4. Add water to the grain water to make up to 5 ¼ gallons. Bring to a rolling boil add saaz hops, and boil for 30 mins.
5. Add the hallertaur hops Boil for 45 mins.
6. Add German Pearl hops and Irish Moss. Boil 30mins.
7. Cool your wort to 65-70 degrees and transfer to your sanitized primary fermenting vessel.
8. Add the SafT-58 dry ale yeast, and ferment in a cool dark place for 4-6 days.
9. At this point if the fermentation has subsided and you a have a secondary fermenter, you can transfer the brew to your secondary fermenter.
10. Ferment an additional 7-14 days, or until fermentation is done.
11. Clean and sanitize enough bottles and caps for your brew.
12. Boil ¾ cup corn sugar for bottling sugar in two cups of water for 15 mins.
13. Cool the sugar to 70 degree and pour into a sanitized carboy or bottling bucket. Transfer your into the same container mixing slowly.
14. Fill bottles and cap immediately to prevent contamination.
15. Store at room temperature for 2 days, then in a cool dark place for 1 to 3 weeks.

Cheers

This is an awesome recipe we want to share w/ the world. It is super easy to make and comes out quite good for GF beer.
Gluten Free McGee beer recipe

It uses sorghum syrup, a beet-based syrup, rice extract and flaked rice, and some other good stuff including a gluten free yeast (many growing mediums have gluten from malt so not all yeast is strictly GF).

Oh and you can buy the kit there or just print out the recipe and go to your LHBS and see if they have the ingredients.

Check out Breworganic.com Seven Bridges just released Mountain Man gluten free home brew kits.

Midwest is offering a clone kit for bards tale ale as well... The kit says it features toasted sorghum grain... The commercial version isnt a bad pale ale...

Sparky, Google 'Gone with the wheat' and it should bring up 'The home brew shop'. There is 4 Wheat free kits you can order from. They ship to NI, and I think Southern Ireland too. It's about £25 for the kit plus postage. Just ordered my first yesterday. Let me know if you have any troubles with it...

Has anyone tried the AHS Gluten Free Pale Ale kit? Been thinking of trying to make a GF beer and for $26 it seemed like a good deal.

Has anyone tried the AHS Gluten Free Pale Ale kit? Been thinking of trying to make a GF beer and for $26 it seemed like a good deal.

$26 is less than any 5 gallon batch I have ever made.

Got a link?

I brewed this kit last Friday as my 1st GF kit. I'll probably check the gravity and assuming its done then I'll transfer to a 2ndary. I have to admit it tasted awful but I am confident it will be better after its done fermenting and aging. It's a low gravity, low alcohol beer so nothing too exciting, sorghum and hops. I've heard it's a good kit. I've ordered many non GF items from AHB, good company.

Brewed the AHS kit with some modifications a week ago, for a friend who has celiac (aka the glutard) We added 1 lb. of brown rice syrup and 1 lb. of honey too. OG was 1.062 I'm very excited about this one. Took a reading today was almost done 1.018, going to let it sit a few more weeks. The sample tasted great. So far I'd say I would do it again even for myself.

Back