I just got edumacated on handling O2...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And was privy to viewing some pretty awesome photo's of the result of mis-handling. All I can say is , Wow!

I knew O2 was a powerful oxidizer but, I never really knew just how vicious the stuff can be. Turns out, O2 has the potential to auto-ignite something as simple as oil from your fingers thus causing some pretty substantial damages in the aftermath.

Sheesh!

Yeah. what makes me nervous is the wee bairne. Who by the way LOVES banging on things with hammers.

Can't hide it in the closet cause that were the water tank and furnace are.

Don't think I should store up high cause gravity may prove to be a b!tch.

I've just got to find a toddler safe place to stash this thing.

And was privy to viewing some pretty awesome photo's of the result of mis-handling. All I can say is , Wow!

I knew O2 was a powerful oxidizer but, I never really knew just how vicious the stuff can be. Turns out, O2 has the potential to auto-ignite something as simple as oil from your fingers thus causing some pretty substantial damages in the aftermath.

Sheesh!

You need to elaborate! Did something burn?

Yes. There were photo's of melted regs, and blown tanks. all the result of mis-handling. The majority were due to contact with oils the saleman informed me.

They used to launch test the cockpits of NASA rockets with 100%, with the crew as ready to launch.

In about 1967, some small electrical thing happened and it burnt pretty much immediately. No survivors. They don't do that anymore.

At a concentration of 38% O2, you can hit a pine log with a baseball bat and it will burn. Sometimes we had fun in high school chemistry class.

I had a welding design professor who told stories of some the old timers in the welding shops, who would use the compressed O2 to blow dirt off their clothes, step outside for a cigarette and light up like a Buddhist Monk.

Back