wyeast 3787: What else can it do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uuurang

Reaction score
Can 3787 do another big beer style besides belgians?

I will have enormous slurry left over from a wit done last tuesday. Would love to take advantage of it. Seems only big beer for 3787 will be belgian dubbel/trippel?

Looking to brew 1.090-1.120 SG range. Comments, suggestions needed.:mug:

Quadrupel!
latr.jpg

Well, according to their website: Doubles, Triples, Abbey, Beir de Grarde

http://wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm#whe

You could make a wide variety of Belgian-style ales with that yeast, strong ales, blonde ales, etc.

no matter what, tho, it'll have that belgian fruitiness to it.

low temperatures keep the esters away :ban: and keep the banana taste wonderful, not unbearable

:mug:

EDIT: Come to think of it, you could make a clone of the gulden draak i'm drinking right now, lol

Hope whatever you make turns out great :)

Thats a style didn't know would fit for that yeast...barleywine. Thanks for the site DeathBrewer, that's a new one for me!

"low temperatures keep the esters away and keep the banana taste wonderful, not unbearable"
...yup, been wondering about ferment temp...I suppose a water bath would be necessary to maintain low ferment temps, otherwise the ferment will tend to creep into the mid 70's at high kreusen(?) :confused:

yeah, i built a son-of-fermentation chiller which works wonders, but a bath should work fine.

i always try to go the low end of every yeasts optimum range, maybe 68 or lower for the 3787.

optimum is 64-78 for 3787. it'll make a fine beer at 78, too, but it will be really fruity, not my thing. depends on your taste, too :)

went with a barley wine, specifically a version of Brewpastors water to barleywine recipe, link.

Let the sucker ferment at ambient temps and it got really hot, over 80°. Threw a wet towel over carboy but I think it was too late. I'm not too worried. I'll just try something different next time on this recipe to see if it changes anything.

Also, I'll be putting that son-of-fermentaion chiller project on the back burner. Thanks Deathbrewer.

God-damn!it, I love homebrewing!:rockin:

Back