Salsa and Guacamole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't decide what to do for dinner tonight but when I saw avocados for 20p each and red onions I was on a roll.

So it's

Salsa,

1 beef tomato, rough chopped
1/2 mango, rough chopped
1/2 red onion, medium chopped
1 finely chopped chilli
2 cloves of garlic
1 lime juiced
1/2 lemon juiced
chopped fresh coriander leaves
pinch powdered coriander seeds
1 table spoon olive oil.
Salt and course ground pepper to taste

Guacamole

4 ripe avocados (3 pulverised 1 roughly chopped)
1 finely chopped medium chilli (some seeds left in)
Splash of lime and lemon juice.
Splash of olive oil.
Salt (very little) to taste

Both left to warm marinade for 1 hour then 3 hours chilled.

Served with Corn Chips and LARGE glass of chilled South East Australian Chardonnay.

Starters

A large field mushroom served on a Bed of rocket leaves.
Dressed with smoked salmon in a lime and chili dressing.

Mains

Now this is where it gets rustic!
Rack of ribs in a sweet BBQ sauce served with grilled smoked Bratwurst and Austrian salsa filled pork meat balls. Accompanied by sliced new potatoes roasted in olive oil and cracked black pepper
Accompanied with 1 or more (definitely more) bottles of Leffe.

Desert

Home made lemon tarts and a glass of carrot wine.

Finish off-

With Hob goblin until I can't focus and it's bed time.

Not just food but Orfy food.

Orfy- that sounds amazing! Alot of thought and effort went into that meal. (I hope that such an effort for the dinner and wine was rewarded by your SWMBO!)

I just tried a different guacamole recipe. I'm gonna leave it to sit 30 minutes before trying it,
2 avocadoes
1 tomato deseeded pulped
1 deseeded chilli
coarse salt and pepper ground in a mortar
half a red onion
Juice one lime.

Can't deside whether to serve it with toasted pitta or corn chips.

I wish I kept track of exact amounts, but I do it by taste and look.

Avocado
Fresh crushed garlic (processed/powder just doesn't cut it) 1 clove per avocado
Diced tomato
Diced red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Cumin
Salt
Lime juice

Mash up the avocado and mix in the garlic. Add cumin and salt by the teaspoon or half tsp if unsure until it tastes proper. Add lime juice by the half-tsp until that tastes right. Add tomato, onion, and cilantro until it looks like the right amount. The cilantro should end up being maybe 1-2 dark green streaks per spoonful.

I wish I could be more specific, but I didn't measure any of this when I make it. Fresh guacamole is awesome stuff though. I love it.

Ole! My uncle has got 2 HUGE avocado trees that my great great great grandmother brought over from Cuba as a seed so needless to say we have guacamole often :D. At any given time he brings over 2 grocery bags full of them. The ones that fall but have bugs still get made into guacamole ala the lawnmower :D.

Try this:

1 large avocado
1 medium white onion
dollop of olive oil
dollop of balsamic vinegar.

Cut the avocado into small chunks, chop the onions a little finer. Mix and serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

This thread had me wanting to make some so I kept a better track of ingredients this time. This stuff kicks ass - enough said.

Fresh ingredients
5 avocados
1/2 red onion diced
1 tomato diced
5-10 cloves garlic (stronger the better!)
1/8-1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (loose, not packed) - optional for cilantro haters

Non-fresh ingredients
3-4 tsp cumin
2-3 tsp salt
4-6 tsp lime juice

Scoop, chunk, and mash the avocado to desired consistency. Mix in the tomato, onion, and the lower end of the rest of the ingredients. Give a taste and start tweaking to personal likes. My girlfriend and I love garlic, so I put in 8 cloves of a really strong garlic that we get around here. Also, the garlic we get has a spicy bite to it, so I omitted any cayenne. You can certainly add some to give it a kick, but personally I don't think guacamole should be "hot". Cover with saran wrap and push the plastic down onto the guacamole, taking care to get rid of air bubbles. A foodsaver vacuum sort of thing might be ok here as well. The air will cause the guacamole to turn a harmless, yet ugly brown. Chill for a couple hours and serve.

I can tell you how the mexicans do it in south central phoenix.

2 Avacados
Garlic Power (not garlic salt) to taste
Onion Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 tblspn paprika
1 fresh squeezed lime juice
1 baseball sized tomato diced.

I like fresh habenaro peppers in mine.

That is authentic mexican guac right there. Lets the avacado flavor come out nicely.

If you haven't tried this recipe then try it.

Hass avacados are the best

I can tell you how the mexicans do it in south central phoenix.

2 Avacados
Garlic Power (not garlic salt) to taste
Onion Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 tblspn paprika
1 fresh squeezed lime juice
1 baseball sized tomato diced.

I like fresh habenaro peppers in mine.

That is authentic mexican guac right there. Lets the avacado flavor come out nicely.

If you haven't tried this recipe then try it.

Hass avacados are the best

You won't find a mexican salsa with out cilantro in it here in the southwest.

then where is cilantro in the recipe you posted? just busting your chops man; south phx guac is the best! Barrio Cafe makes it at your table!

My guac recipe is a few avocados, I dice them up into about 1/3 cm cubes in the skin, then scoop it in, mix with lots of lime juice, about 1/3 bunch of finely diced cilantro, a bunch of salt, some garlic powder, and if I have them on hand, a small tomato, deseeded and diced very small, and a jalapeño diced small.

Orfy, looks mighty tasty! I'm a salsa freak, especially during the summer when my tomatoes are ripe. One thing to try, is add 1 tbsp of sugar to the salsa and mix thoroughly. It really brings out some flavors in the salsa and will offset the spiciness. You can add more or less depending on the batch size, and a little goes a long way.

Back