Blichmann Auto Sparge for Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggismaximus

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using the Blichmann Auto Sparge in a keggle? Curious if there could be clearance issues with a large grain bill.

Just got my Auto Sparge in the other day and noticed that the float valve seemed a little lose and there was quite a bit of slop between the piston and bore. I took it apart and saw that the piston does not have an o-ring (there does appear to be a machined groove for just this purpose).

Can anyone confirm that there should be an o-ring in there. I pushed some water through with my mouth and I get a leak out the back and I don't think this should be happening.

Just got my Auto Sparge in the other day and noticed that the float valve seemed a little lose and there was quite a bit of slop between the piston and bore. I took it apart and saw that the piston does not have an o-ring (there does appear to be a machined groove for just this purpose).

Can anyone confirm that there should be an o-ring in there. I pushed some water through with my mouth and I get a leak out the back and I don't think this should be happening.

It is loose, and there will be some leakage. Bottom line, if you make it too tight, that float will not have enough force while floating to shunt the flow.

Your is completely normal.

markymarx said:
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I am interested as well if the Blichmann Autosparge will work on a keggle with 5 and 10 gallon batches or just 10. Thanks.

Just installed mine. I have not used it yet but based on the massive amount of adjustment, it will work for both 5 and 10 gallon batches fine.

Fits great with plenty of clearance.

image-2407674905.jpg

To keep the float ball and arm out of the way during the mash, I drilled out one of the top rim drain holes to. Accommodate the float arm. Makes for a handy storage spot.

image-423566873.jpg

Just got my autosparge in and need to install to my keggle. I'm surprised by the use of a rigid gasket vs silicone rubber. Anyone had a problem with it?

Just got my autosparge in and need to install to my keggle. I'm surprised by the use of a rigid gasket vs silicone rubber. Anyone had a problem with it?

I leak tested mine after the install stayed nice and dry. I highly doubt that the water level in my mash tun will ever be that high though .

Back