Edmund Fitzgerald Clone from BYO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
Hey all,

I didn't realize until earlier today that the latest issue of BYO (December 09) has a clone of Edmund Fitz in it. I'd be really really interested in that recipe. If anyone has it or can get it, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, yeah, I've actually made recipes based off of both of those. I'm a huge fan of EF and was more interested in the specific recipe that was published in BYO. I do appreciate the help, though!

wow, really? I love EF, would be interested in a clone as well.

I just signed up for BYO, maybe i'll get the dec 09 as a retroactive?

From BYO:

11 lbs 2-Row
12 oz Crystal 60 L
8 oz Chocolate 350 L
8 oz Roast Barley 450 L

1 oz. Northern Brewer's Pellet Hops (60 min)
0.5 oz. Fuggle Pellet Hops (30 min)
0.5 oz. Cascade Pellet Hops (0 min)

WLP013 London Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast
They also recommend 1/2 tsb Yeast Nutrient last 15 minutes of boil

155 degree mash for 60 mins
60 min boil

I have this clone in the secondary fermenter right now. (they recommend a 1 week secondary after fermentation is complete) Can't wait to try it. It smelled awesome mashing!

From BYO:

11 lbs 2-Row
12 oz Crystal 60 L
8 oz Chocolate 350 L
8 oz Roast Barley 450 L

1 oz. Northern Brewer's Pellet Hops (60 min)
0.5 oz. Fuggle Pellet Hops (30 min)
0.5 oz. Cascade Pellet Hops (0 min)

WLP013 London Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast
They also recommend 1/2 tsb Yeast Nutrient last 15 minutes of boil

155 degree mash for 60 mins
60 min boil

I have this clone in the secondary fermenter right now. (they recommend a 1 week secondary after fermentation is complete) Can't wait to try it. It smelled awesome mashing!

Do they give the IBU units on the hop additions? That would be useful information.

My copy says:
OG should be 1.060 Fg should be 1.015
9 AAu Northern Brewer pellet 60 minutes 9% alpha acid
2.4 AAU Fuggle pellet 30 minutes 4.75% alpha acid
2.9 AAU Cascade pellet 0 minutes 5.75% alpha acid
IBUs = 37
SRM = 34
ABV = 5.8%

There are some pretty cool recipies in it.

Seeing this thread has been revived... this Wednesday Nov 10th is the 35th anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I am hoping to brew a batch that day.

My copy says:
OG should be 1.060 Fg should be 1.015
9 AAu Northern Brewer pellet 60 minutes 9% alpha acid
2.4 AAU Fuggle pellet 30 minutes 4.75% alpha acid
2.9 AAU Cascade pellet 0 minutes 5.75% alpha acid
IBUs = 37
SRM = 34
ABV = 5.8%

There are some pretty cool recipies in it.

Thanks for that info.

Is the alterantive Universe near central Wisconsin? It would be fun to have a porter tasting event.

I kind of have three versions of the same recipe going at once.

Seeing this thread has been revived... this Wednesday Nov 10th is the 35th anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I am hoping to brew a batch that day.

Ever hear the song "wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot? Gives me chills every time I hear it.

Eric

I opened up a bottle of the tribute that I made without the dark grains. It has a nice IPA hoppy quality to it with a nice thick head.

That reminds me of Gordon Lighfoot on the turntable in the early 80's the reck of the EF I liked his music. Gordon Lightfoot & The Guess Who, 2 Great" Canadian bands growing up in the 70's

Last edited:
Grew up on the shores of Lake Michgan. The story of the EF event captures a feeling that not a whole lot of folks can associate with. Something about the early winter gales and grey skies on an empty shoreline make you feel exhillerated yet incredibly small. Face up into the wind, eyes on the horizon. Smell the air. Feel the wind as it abrades your cheeks. There is a storm coming - powerful and fast. There is time still yet, but you know winter is coming.

I miss it - I need to go back.....

Latest posts

Back