how to add back flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
So - made a bad mistake when racking my cider over to secondary a week or two ago. There was more headspace than I'd counted on, and I topped it up, unthinkingly, with water. Dumb, I know. :mad: But the place where I get my fresh cider is almost an hour away, and they were closed at that point anyway. Tasted the cider about a week later, and it tastes thin and weak. :(

My question now is how do I salvage my cider? I was thinking I have 3 options:

1) purchase more fresh cider and simmer it down to a more concentrated form and add that to the fermenter

2) add thawed apple juice concentrate

3) add apple flavoring (from LHBS)

I would like to avoid option 3, since it seems like the least natural-tasting option.

Any suggestions from others who've made a mistake or just wanted to amp up their apple flavor?

Thanks!

david_42 said:
#2 has always worked for me.

Yeah, that seems like the least expensive and easiest way to give it some appley goodness back. Thanks for your input.

I agree, option #2 should work great for this problem.

Adolphus79 said:
+1 for #2, but be prepared for fermentation to start back up, unless you're looking for a carbed finished product... ;)

Yeah, I am ok with it going back into fermentation - it's only been in the secondary for 2 weeks (and the primary for 3 weeks before that). I am planning to bulk age it for a few months, and THEN bottle-carb.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if I would need to add any additional yeast to get it to carb in the bottle (if I bulk age for several months)?

jmulligan said:
Yeah, I am ok with it going back into fermentation - it's only been in the secondary for 2 weeks (and the primary for 3 weeks before that). I am planning to bulk age it for a few months, and THEN bottle-carb.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if I would need to add any additional yeast to get it to carb in the bottle (if I bulk age for several months)?

You shouldn't need extra yeast, but it depends on what yeast you used, and the final ABV...

Adolphus79 said:
You shouldn't need extra yeast, but it depends on what yeast you used, and the final ABV...

I used a Wyeast Cider Yeast smack pack, and the original ABV was going to be about 8.6%. If I add the apple juice concentrate and take another S.G. reading, how would I incorporate that into the current ABV estimate? Since it has fermented to dryness and I am adding more sugar (in the form of the apple concentrate), would I add the percentages (once it finishes fermenting again)?

jmulligan said:
I used a Wyeast Cider Yeast smack pack, and the original ABV was going to be about 8.6%. If I add the apple juice concentrate and take another S.G. reading, how would I incorporate that into the current ABV estimate? Since it has fermented to dryness and I am adding more sugar (in the form of the apple concentrate), would I add the percentages (once it finishes fermenting again)?
I read somewhere that it is very dificult to get yeast started (even with a proofed starter) once the abv is @ or above 7%. But I haven't tried it.
Drinking: Budweiser (I told you I'm just getting started, why can't you just leave me alone)

yes, just before adding the juice take a reading. Then take a reading again after the juice is THOUROUGHLY mixed in. The increase in gravity should be added to your original original gravity reading. Then the ABV calculations will work as normal. However, you should know that it will ferment back out over the following months and the end result will likely be even drier tasting than what you have now. You will only increase the ABV, so if apple taste is what you are looking for, pick a different yeast next time, or do what I do: Mix it 50/50 with fresh apple juice or cider at serving time.

Back