CDN TCT572 ProAccurate Thermometer (Thermapen equivalent)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I was reading through some past threads and noticed someone mentioned this new CDN Thermapen equivalent.

It looks like it is fairly new and has no reviews on Amazon yet, so I was wondering if anyone has purchased this? It is supposed to be a direct competitor of the Thermapen, so I was curious if any side by side videos or reviews have been done.

It's a bit cheaper at $79, but I'm curious how it stacks up.

Interesting. Those are listed by a third party, will be curious to see what Amazons price will be if they start selling them.

For only $10 less, I'd probably just go with the proven thermapen if I was in the market.

Interesting. Those are listed by a third party, will be curious to see what Amazons price will be if they start selling them.

For only $10 less, I'd probably just go with the proven thermapen if I was in the market.

Oh strange, I didn't notice it was a third party seller. I agree that right now it's a safer bet to go with the thermapen.

Personally, either one is too expensive for my taste (I'd probably go with that $17 CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate and live with the 7 extra seconds I'd have to wait for a reading), but I was curious about the side by side of these two instruments.

I was hoping a good competitor to the thermapen might drive the prices of both down a bit. :D

I have tested it thoroughly but im going to withold the results until i get the next sample. Please do NOT buy it yet. Don't. Trust yer uncle Bobby.

Awesome, thanks Bobby! Looking forward to seeing what you have for us. :mug:

That price is close to msrp. I plan to sell it around $65 but it is not ready to be called a competitor to the thermapen.... not by any stretch.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I inferred some negative connotations in that first reply. :cross:

Will your findings be in video form? I vaguely remember reading in one of the other threads someone mentioning videos, but can't remember who...

I can probably do a video review but I was hoping to get a few more popular thermometers for that purpose. I want to get the really cheap Harbor Freight digital for example. Most of my recent testing was primarily with CDN models (and the thermapen) testing for both accuracy at ice/boiling and some midpoints as well as the reaction time.

I will say that the DTQ450 from last year was amazingly close to the thermapen. They had a slight redesign this year and I'm waiting for my next large shipment to verify that they are still performing as well as last year's. If they are, I'll show you the Pepsi challenge and dare folks to spend the extra $70 for basically the same performance.

Nice, looking forward to all your findings. I'm going to hold off purchasing any thermometers for a while to see what you come up with. I currently use one of those candy thermometers and a spring-dial one that I got for a couple bucks at the supermarket. So I'm definitely due for an upgrade soon.

If its anything like the Maverick Professional Instant Read Thermometer (PT-100)...I'd walk away...that thing is a POS.

I received my shipment of DTQ450x today, spot checked a few, and verified that they are reading just as accurately as the one I bought in 2010/2011. I also brought in the TCCT model which is the kitchen style remote probe with built in timer and set temp alarms. Here's the limited data set for those two and how they stack up against the thermapen.

thermodata.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm 98' above sea level so true boil temp is 211.8F. The error data is measured against 212F before I figured out my elevation.

Some notes on the data... Ice Slurry is filling a cup all the way to the brim with crushed ice and then filling it with water. Stir the slurry with the probe keeping it in the center of the mass.

Boiling is a rolling boil with the probe not touching the bottom of the pot.

The mid point "error" for the CDNs are as compared with the thermapen. Of course they can all be reading a little off here but I felt this data was useful since everyone considers the thermapen to be the holy grail.

Summary: DTQ450x is about 1-2 seconds slower than the TP, but only when making huge swings of nearly 100F. For our purposes, they are equal in read speed. Accuracy at ice and boiling are good and it tracks almost perfectly with the TP in the mash/sparge ranges.

The big surprise was the TCCT. I picked this up as a goof to see how bad it would be since most people have thrown a few of this type away. I always liked this style since they have a timer built in and most importantly that it had temperature alarms so that it tells you that you're about to overshoot your strike water temp. I'm pretty sure it also has a low temp alarm so you can make sure to add some heat to your mash when it drops too low.

The surprise was how accurate it was. Yes, it takes up to 30 seconds to find the actual temp, but again, instant read isn't really that important with brewing. At this price point, I'll take accuracy over speed. I haven't added this to the site yet but it's going to be about $19.

41%2B-1xfbLFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bobby, those are surprising stats! I'm very glad you posted this, because it will save me a ton of money. I had already been leaning towards the DTQ450x (truth be told).

Which of the two cheaper ones would you suggest? I like that the DTQ450x is faster, but the timer and alarms seem like they'd be helpful.

Slightly unrelated: The only real reason I'd get the probe therm is so I could leave it in the mash with an alarm set to let me know if the mash falls below the temp I want.

I have one of those orange cooler mash tuns (with the screw on white lid). Would it actually be possible to screw down the lid with the probe wire in the way? I feel like it'd ruin the wire or just not screw down properly.

I ask because if that isn't doable, I'd rather get the DTQ450x.

I don't think the cord would make it through the lid threads. I do know that some people had success stabbing the probe through an undrilled stopper and pushing the stopper into a hole drilled from inside the cooler. I've never done it, but it sounds reasonable.

Markd, CDN told me that the pocket version has the same guts as the DTQ450x.

Back