How much is to much crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
im working on a recipe and it seems i might have to much crystal malt in it can anyone help me adjust it im trying to create a alska amber ale.. im trying to keep it in there srm and ibu range....

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.02 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 22.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
0.80 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332)

Yeah, I'd call 3 1/2 lbs too much for an amber. The highest recipe I have uses 1 3/4 lbs, but it's a Robust Porter. I'd eliminate the 80L, cut the 60L by half and use 4 oz of 120L to restore the color.

I'd cut both crystal malts back to 8 oz. each. Then boost up your color with a tad bit of a dark grain such as debittered carafa II, or pale chocolate malt.

I've heard 18 % of grain as maximum....or was it 15%. somewhere around there. You don't want it to be too sweet. So I would I would second the recommendation of 8 to 10 ounces per crystal malt.

I never add more than 8 ounces of any kind of crystal aka caramel malts. But am not really in to sweet brews.

I just had a sample of this at BJCP class after not drinking it in ages. I'd say you really need to put some munich malt in there to get the toasted/bready effect of an alt bier. Crystal is going to give you sweetness and some caramel, but not quite the same thing.

I usually keep my crystal down to 5%, but tried upping it to 7.5% a few brews ago, just to see what the effect would be. I wish I hadn't done it. I find it to be sickly sweet.
But you're talking about > 35% crystal. :eek:

-a.

ajf said:
I usually keep my crystal down to 5%, but tried upping it to 7.5% a few brews ago, just to see what the effect would be. I wish I hadn't done it. I find it to be sickly sweet.
But you're talking about > 35% crystal. :eek:

-a.

Not trying to hi jack but what was your OG? I did this on a couple brews and they turned out twangy sweet(almost sour, not infected though). 1 was 16% (red ale)and the other was 18% crystal (dunkel). Trying to trouble shoot whether it was just the crystal or a combo of bad malt or something.

It really depends upon a lot of factors. The CYBI recipe for Stone's Arrogant Bastard uses over 16% crystal, and I don't think of that as a sickly sweet beer. I don't know that many others do, either. But it has the hops and alcohol presence to balance the crystal. It also uses a large percentage of darker crystal, which doesn't have a whole lot of sweetness. I think each recipe really has to be evaluated individually.

If I had to pick an arbitrary number, I'd say if you want to go over 12% you should know enough about recipe design to make sure everything else balances the crystal addition. If you don't know how that might play out, you probably shouldn't use more than 12%. For the record, if it matters, most of my recipes use much less than that.

The wiki has 20% listed as max per batch. Yooper's Broken Leg House Amber uses right at 20% and it's delicious. I usually keep it between 5-10%, but like GuldTuborg said, it's all about balance within the recipe.

Thanks again i talked to the guy at my lhbs he helped me out ill podt the recipie when i get home.. are these just numbers people came up with i mean what if everyone followed these rules and the best beer ever created does not get created lol... thanks for the help i think off the top of my head im back to

7lbs 2row
8oz crystal 60l
8oz biscuit
1.5lbs carastan
8oz cholate malt for color

Same hops slighty adjusted

Funny thing is after i. Entered all my stuff in i hit color ibu and abv dead on

Back