how many pours out of a keg without a co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill42

Reaction score
I want to bring a 5gal keg to a club meeting, but i dont want to bring the co2 tank with me. If i just bring the keg, fully carbed, about how many pours should i get?

That is a tough question...I have thought about this myself. It eally depends on the pressure of the beer and how quickly wou want to dispense it. I was thinking of doing this yet having a way to elevate the keg...say a stepladder...essentially you would jsut be siphoning, unless of course carbonation broke the siphon.

Also depends on how full the keg is...a half keg will pour more beers with mor gas volume to expand within the keg.

Depending on how full the keg is, 2-5 roughly. Maybe you should get a portable keg charger like this one- http://www.midwestsupplies.com/compact-co2-injector-ball-lock-fitting-compact-co2-injector.html
I have one similar, and they work pretty good. Make sure to read the instructions carefully and understand them. You can literally blow up the keg charger in your face if you aren't careful.

I second this! You're going to want to do it again, just buy it now. THey are awesome. I love mine, well I did untill I got to drunk and broke it.

Either use the co2 charger (I loved mine, until it broke!), or take the beer in growlers because you will only get a couple of pours out of it without a co2 source.

Something I made as an emergency backup; is an adapter for a schrader valve to connect to a 1/4" MFL fitting. That way a bicycle pump can be used to pump the beer out of the corny keg. However, this would necessitate "immediate consumption", as the ambient air from the bike pump would oxidize the beer, just like the pumpable sanke taps you find on kegs at college parties.

Back