Specialty IPA: Belgian IPA Houblon Chouffe aka HopChewy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houblon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
FG 1.006
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @75f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @32f
Tasting Notes
Excellent aroma
This is really damn close to the real Houblon.

Grain/Extract/Sugar
--------------------------------
4.88 kg. Pilsener
0.91 kg. Beet Sugar

Hops
-------------------------------------
21g.Columbus 60 min.
10g.Columbus 20 min.
35g.Czech Saaz 7 min.
21g.Amarillo Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale

Mash Schedule

-----This info from the brewer ---
<Mash Temps >
62 ºC = 143.6 ºF >>20min
68 ºC = 154.4 ºF >>70min

Pitching temp>
26 ºC = 78.8 ºF

Lager 3 weeks>
2 ºC = 35.6 ºF
-----------------------------------------------

HopChew2ua.jpg

Houblon @ the brewery -Btw the tour is free to Americans

Intervew with Chris Bauweraerts, Founder, Original Brewmaster of Achouffe
http://beersoflegend.com/?p=218

This was brewed using WLP570 yeast which takes forever to drop clear

1 of many test batchs

Part 1

The proper way to brew a HopChewy aka Houblon Chouffe clone.

Pilsner Malt conditioned:

The hops,sugar and the proper head-ware along with a bottle of Houblon.

The first step of the mash> 20min @ 143.6ºF - I over shot by 1 degree ºF.

The next step of the mash 70min @ 154.4 ºF

Part 2

Few more pics while I wait for the wort to cool down.

Vorlauf till the wort runs clear:

The second runnings --> SG 1.034

Killing time, hey its the Simpsons:p

A proper boil:

The last hop addition >Saaz leaf:

Adding the Beet Sugar:

Part 3

Everything went too perfect, I forgot to add the Whirlfloc tablet and I missed the gravity by 1 point..
SG 1.077 instead of 1.078 oh well ;)

Should be alot clearer if I had only added the Whirlflock.... :mad:

Pitched the yeast @ 22.2ºC and will allow to rise up to 23.8 ºC

24hrs later

I forgot to up date post:D

Part 4

Day 14 and gravity sample is 1.008.

Transfer into a CO2 purged carboy, add 21g.Amarillo Dry Hop.

Lager for 21days.

Tasting of the gravity sample

:mug:

I am going to be brewing the beersmith converted extract recipe of this. I need to use a bit more hops, I only have a 4 gallon ss pot, but I am excited! Thanks so much for the recipe and the awesome pictures!

Part 5

Its time !!:p
Took the gravity sample and its fg1.007
SG 1.077
ADF 90.37% RDF 74.91% 9.28%abv

5 weeks from brew to keg

Went ahead and kegged the beer leaving just enough for 12 bottles.

Yes I'm having a glass right now at 11am, its my wedding anniversary today.

firstglass.jpg

Justed carbed as you can see by the large bubbles but damn tastey, still a little hazing but this will clear over the next week as the beer fully carbs. See what happens when you forget to add the whirlfock tablet:mad:

Next sunday I'll side by side with the real Houblon.

1stsip.jpg

I couldn't wait and just opened a bottle....well two bottles. The first was a bottle bomb. :(
But the second was heaven on earth!

Thank you so much for this AWESOME recipe!!

Sorry for not posting report here but better late than never:
------------------------------------------------------------
posted :02-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Bad news first:

Well I hate to say but this batch has too much of a columbus taste/aroma over a 1yr old bottle of Houblon Chouffe. The real version does have slightly more of the classic Belgian yeast aroma vs the clone, but this was bottle vs keg and I expect to have the same aroma with a bottled version as it was reyeasted with fresh wlp550 yeast.

The real version is crystal clear after 1yr in the fridge vs the kegged clone which I forgot to add the whirlflock during the boil.

Other versions have always been crystal clear so thats of no worry to me.( see this pic to verify clarity )

--
My version does have a better foam--smaller/denser bubbles that last longer.
The hops are much fresher and should fade over time to a more mellow aroma.

In review its really close and as I knew ahead where the problems would be I'm happy with this batch. Another test sometime in late april with a fresh bottle of Houblon vs a bottle of HopChewy(clone).

Time to brew another batch:)

houblonvshopchew2.jpg

houblonvshopchew.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

I knew ahead of time that its a matter of fine tuning the Columbus & Saaz hops when using new hops due to changes year to year in the crops.
(1gram less @60 and 1g less @20 Columbus will be perfect.)

Still very damn close and the keg lasted less than 10 days leaving only a 12pk of bottles for long term aging. My hop loving friends like the clone better as the hops are fresher than the store bought bottles they brought over to compare, I hate to say but every bottle they brought also had a touch of light skunk. Out of 8 locally purchased all had varying levels of skunk from being exposed to light.

My bottles developed the yeasty aroma as expected :)

Note to self - NEVER FORGET THE WHIRLFLOCK :mad:

I just gave this recipe a try. I had a split batch with another recipe so this ended up a bit lower gravity (1.055) but I still think it'll be great. The original is a pretty hefty beer and I wouldn't mind something a little lighter as long as it can still handle the hops. I also used WLP530, which is pretty close. I'll post a review in a couple months once I get around to bottling and aging etc....

thanks for the recipe. I like this beer a lot

I transferred mine to secondary yesterday with some gelatin after dry-hopping in the primary. I'll give it about a week to clear then bottle. I'm skipping the lagering stuff because it's a damn hassle but I doubt it will change the end result much. The gravity sample was down to 1.006 and taste was very good. I dry hopped with an oz of amarillo pellets but I wasn't getting a ton of aroma from them. We'll see if it emerges more when carbonated and a little cooler.

I just gave this recipe a try. -snip- I also used WLP530, which is pretty close.
thanks for the recipe. I like this beer a lot

No you brewed a beer based on the recipe and wlp530 is nothing like wlp550.

Your beer will be more `dark fruity` but still good, I know from using that yeast on the recipe:mug:

------
Its almost time for another visit to Achouffe, counting the days till late aug.:ban:

Houblon- Have your beers been a bit hot before the cold stabilization?

My numbers have been pretty good:
og 1.074 and fg 1.007
pitched at 68º
fermented at 78º
dry hopped for 9 days

The aroma and flavor are good, but there is a serious booze hit that borders into astringency that has me worried. Just curious about how the conditioning phase on this thing will go. I haven't brewed many beers over the 6.5abv level.

Thanks!

I popped this in the keg two nights ago and have it at 32º carbing up.

Damn, this beer will not clear. I posted above that I planned on bottling it after secondarying with gelatin but I ended up kegging it instead so I could lager it like was recommended. Well, after a month of lagering, it is still cloudy as hell. Flavor is good though, a lot more columbus flavor than the real thing from what I can remember of it, as mentioned. I'll have to pick up another bottle and do a side-by-side comparison. I think I'm going to have to add some more gelatin though. I've never had a beer refuse to clear this persistently.

so, you dry hop for the entire 21 day lagering period?

edit: nevermind, i've asked this before, the answer is yes, lol....

Anyway would could get pictures that show up in the instructions? I'm really interested in brewing this, and the pictures would help a bunch. Thanks!

I made this once and it was really great and very similar to the commercial version!

I am making up a batch this afternoon with clover honey instead of sugar. I am also trying a wheat yeast, Wyeast forbidden fruit:

A widely used strain in the production of Witbier and Grand Cru. This yeast will produce spicy phenolics which are balanced nicely by a complex ester profile. The subtle fruit character and dry tart finish will complement wheat malt, orange peel and spice additions typical of Wits.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 63-76F, 17-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

Anyway would could get pictures that show up in the instructions? I'm really interested in brewing this, and the pictures would help a bunch. Thanks!

I moved all of the pics to another account, but now it seems my early posts have been locked so I can't repost the pics :confused:

when in the boil do you add the sugar?

I like to add the sugar the last 20 mins of boil along with the whirlflock- (makes it easier to remember ;))
If you add the sugar at the start of boil the wort comes out too dark.

thanks for the info. this has been on my back burner for awhile, I need to push it forward. only thing holding me back now is I don't have any way of getting ferm temps up to 78F.

any updates on this beer?

This is the final version after many years & countless test batchs and 2 trips to 'Brasserie d' Achouffe' in the Ardennes.

Houblon Chouffe aka HopChewy
SG 1.078
FG 1.006
IBU: 58

Grain/Extract/Sugar
--------------------------------
4.88 kg. Pilsner
0.91 kg. Beet Sugar

Hops
-------------------------------------

21g.Columbus 60 min.--> 16.4 AA <---- adjust as needed
10g.Columbus 20 min.
35g.Czech Saaz 7 min.
21g.Amarillo Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP550
( I now use a blend of wlp550 & wyeast 3522 & Lupulus Blond)

<Mash Temps >
62 ºC = 143.6 ºF >>20min
68 ºC = 154.4 ºF >>70min

Pitching temp> (I like 75 ºF)
26 ºC = 78.8 ºF

Lager 3 weeks> (while dry hopping)
2 ºC = 35.6 ºF

Keg or bottle after lagering, if bottling add some fresh yeast to ensure carbonation.

Grain to glass 5wks

nediver said:
Do you repitch any yeast before bottling?

Also, step mash will be tough since I am in a cooler...so I think i will stick with your advice and mash at 149.

Lager and dry hop was my intetion and getting to 32 shouldnt be a problem. But I was always under impression that if you dry hop more than 10-14 days you get a "veggie" taste in your beers...thoughts?

Add fresh yeast at bottling, a couple grams of dry yeast is all it takes- I like Nottingham 5grams for 5 gals. Others use even less - 2grams/5gals
Store @ 70F or higher till carbed ->75F is perfect after that store cool or in the beer fridge.

I do batch sparging with a 10gal round cooler, its a ***** but a step mash is possible.

Dry hopping for 21days isn't a problem, its the backbone of the beers aroma.

Notice the difference in colors >depends on when the sugar is added to the kettle. Last 20min along with the whirlflock gives the best results.

hopchew7110.jpg

houblonvshopchew1.jpg

Fresh at Brasserie D` Achouffe
houblon.jpg

Thanks for the help and the pics. The grains are on their way. Just finished a bottle of Houblon Chouffe last night.

Do you have any more tips on what water volume additions to make the step mash process any easier for me?

Do you have any more tips on what water volume additions to make the step mash process any easier for me?

Start thick >around 1qt/per lbs and by the end you should be @ 1.45qt/per lbs.

< edit to add my latest that I have been tweaking over the past yr >
Gnome Houblon
SG: 1.052
FG 1.006
Color: SRM: 2.9
IBU: 40

also known as Houblon Lite:p Bold full flavor & easy drinking @ 6%abv

GnomeHoublon1411.jpg

Can't wait to see your recipe for the gnome houblon. If it's anything like this recipe, it will be great!
I am brewing this again since it's the only time I can lager anything. It's a balmy 40 degrees in the garage. I figure I can probably work out a vent system of some sort to get those last few degrees.

Back