Wildwest's brew lean-to (my almost dream build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was telling this story to a buddy of mine and he used a fully auto Air soft gun on some cats wandering into his yard and after a few times never came back...

Man WW I was thinking of you the last day or two when we had lows down to like 12 degrees, that must be fun with no heat.

I'm good to go. My heating guy did all the work in one day, so the coldest it got in the house was 52f, which is way better than 12F!!:mug:

I hate cats as much as the next guy, but you should be careful using lethal force on an animal. There are a lot of people that will stop at no end with animal rights.

I would suggest non-lethal force and like the pepper spray idea. Not sure if that will kill a cat though. It may....

Also try that chicken-wire like stuff.

I hate cats as much as the next guy, but you should be careful using lethal force on an animal. There are a lot of people that will stop at no end with animal rights.

I would suggest non-lethal force and like the pepper spray idea. Not sure if that will kill a cat though. It may....

Also try that chicken-wire like stuff.

Many years ago dad a USPS parcels deliver person in the commercial district was attacked by a loose German Shepherd while the owner did nothing, dad dropped one arm full of packages and hit the dog with a fist after being backed into 4 lanes of traffic looking at white teeth. The dog ended up with a couple broken teeth and a lip needing stitches, dad went back to his deliveries.
Then the local news and the papers cought wind of this, "mailman attacks dog". The SPCA, animal rights, every dog wacko got into the act. Dad was cleared of this "mailman attacks". I've had the sheep killed over the hill at the ranch by dogs gone wild being dumped in the countryside as well once my horse needing stictches from nasty leg bites with me thrown off. Sorry to say we killed 5 dogs on the spot on this attack, the Redhawk .44 I always pack with speed loaders. I've been bit before in the past by dogs, like dogs but would not own one. A neighbor friend when in my 20's was breeding Ocelots that I helped walk for years late at night. I'm a cat person before this relationship with Ocelots and all the more now.
With a Coi fishpond and the old .22 Crossman air rifle a cat that pissed on everything and ate my fish would get a two pump only shot, man that was a big welt thru your pants test but not killing them. They learn rather fast. Pepper spray with a water bath seems the best as the air rifle became a police issue trust me on this one as i'm close with the police. I now have racoons that attack your legs at night wanting peanuts for the squirrels
and bluejays. So far the "Wrist Rocket" is banned by law so plan "B" is working so far. At night only I inject the peanuts with some super hot sause with a bowl of saltwater near. They're learning. There is no cat leash law. Done with Novel.

Just found this thread and I would just like to say that it is beautiful how gracefully and seamlessly everyone has gone from ogling a brew shed build to discussing the shooting of cats.

Bravo gentlemen... bravo.

(standing and starting a slow-clap).

PS. I hate cats too and am looking forward to seeing the final build!

If WW doesn't get his butt back to work on the shed soon and post more pics this will become the incognito cat-haters thread.

not that it isn't already...

You could always just rodent proof your home and the cats will stop coming over if they have no place to hide/sleep. I'm surpised you don't have other animals living under there as well.

That way you wouldn't need to harm an animal that doesn't know any better. It's not the cat's fault that the owner is negligent.

That's all I have to say on this subject. (Also looking forward to a build update!)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always just rodent proof your home and the cats will stop coming over if they have no place to hide/sleep. I'm surpised you don't have other animals living under there as well.

That way you wouldn't need to harm an animal that doesn't know any better. It's not the cat's fault that the owner is negligent.

Easier said than done living in the woods. I do get the occasional mouse, but nothing serious. I have found where they have been getting in and fixed that spot. Killing them is a last option, but no matter how ignorant the owner, I refuse to let it become my problem.

I shall speak no more of this, and will leave this thread alone until I have some actual brew shed news.:mug:

I said I was going to let this die, but this is to good to pass up. I got my live trap and set it up, what do you think I caught the FIRST night I put it out? He was one sorry cat, spent 10-12 hours in a freaking down pour.

The pic only does it half justice, he was wringing wet and pissed.:D :rockin:

DSCN2457.jpg

Wet that long you could of killed it, my value or you dropped to the bottom sorry fellow HBT member. I have water blasted pest cats caught in a cage but then released vs what you did for a much longer time. I had no returns by them. I'm sad I feel sorry about reading this posting.

Wet that long you could of killed it, my value or you dropped to the bottom sorry fellow HBT member. I have water blasted pest cats caught in a cage but then released vs what you did for a much longer time. I had no returns by them. I'm sad I feel sorry about reading this posting.

Nonsense. I didn't leave it in there, he walked in that night and I found him in the morning. It was 50f outside. That cat cost me $600, stay off my property and he won't have a problem.

I feel bad for the cat too. However.....It caused you much pain and money. Just don't take it out on the cat. Take it to a shelter then beat the piss out of the cat's owner.

Waaaaaaah! Hopefully that cat learns his lesson and stays off your property. I love how people get all "soft" when it comes to domestic animals. If it had been a oppossum or a raccoon,it be stuck in the cage til animal control came out to get it.

Right to live? I am no tree huggin hippie. It is not the cat's fault the owner left him/her out after being warned and told by OP. He was nice enough to use a live trap. No need to torture an animal over it. As for the owners rights? He has the right to pay for the repairs now that there is proof his cat destroyed his house. He is the one who should know better not the cat.

That thing cost you over $500, delaying and AWESOME PROJECT, wasting your electric or gas bill and making you cold! You just proved the owner did nothing to prevent it from happening again! I am very against killing domesticated animals that wonder onto your land occasionally because you can, but this is a whole different story. I would give your neighbor a break by letting him pay you over time later after he got his vehicle back together if I could afford it, and depending on how nice of a person he was. I support anything you do to that cat after catching it and no one here or anywhere should be able to say or do anything about your actions to that mischievous animal.

Waaaaaaah! Hopefully that cat learns his lesson and stays off your property. I love how people get all "soft" when it comes to domestic animals. If it had been a oppossum or a raccoon,it be stuck in the cage til animal control came out to get it.

True but it would still be alive. animal control would relocate it. I only believe in killing for two things. My life is in danger or I need food. All other reasons seem unecessary whether it is domestic or wild.

True but it would still be alive. animal control would relocate it. I only believe in killing for two things. My life is in danger or I need food. All other reasons seem unecessary whether it is domestic or wild.
What about parking lot rage at Wal-Mart?

I never said kill the cat...He did the humane thing by trapping the animal and delivering it to the owner as he promised. The owner should pay/and help to replace the damaged ducting(time is money after all)

I don't feel the cat was tortured in anyway. Everyone keeps saying it's not the cats fault, what about me? Is it my fault my neighbor is an ass.

I hardly think one night in the rain constitutes abuse. These cats are LOCKED out of their house at all times. This includes the past few weeks when we have seen temps in the single digits.

I assume that's why they are burrowing under my house and destroying MY property.

The next time it happens, and I believe there will be a next time, you damn well better believe I won't be so kind.

That is why I say it is not the cat's fault. You would do the same thing if you were left outside in ****ty weather. You would go looking for a warm place to sleep. Don't get me wrong. This needs to be dealt with. I just think it need to be played out with the owner not the cat.

Trap the cat again the way you did and this time don't give it back. Take it to the shelter. Better yet call animal control and they will take it to the shelter and fine the owner.

I have a friend who does this for a living. Not a fun job. He gets to deal with a lot of pissed off people. If you go through someone like him though then you have recourse if the owner will not pay for the damage. There will be a record of the event and you will have more pressure to apply if you need.

Geez WW, I hate to see this thread digress to a fvcking cat discussion. But what the hell...

If a cat is in its owner's house or yard it is a pet. If it is running free it is a vermin. No different that a rat and should be dealt with as such.

Geez WW, I hate to see this thread digress to a fvcking cat discussion. But what the hell...

I agree, please no more cat fodder. It's my fault, I was just updating the saga.
I wasn't expecting this to turn into a PITA commercial.

If I have to i'll have it locked until I resume construction.

hey wildwest thanks for stopping by my intro thread. Build is looking good...bet you can't wait til its warm again...best wishes

Back