Fruit Beer Razzy Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I used 06 but it's fine, I'm sure. One day for dry yeast to chew through a 1.046 beer isn't too surprising.

Been a while since I used 06 but it's fine, I'm sure. One day for dry yeast to chew through a 1.046 beer isn't too surprising.

Thanks

Have you been using a different yeast with this brew, or have you not made it for a while?

I made this to the original recipe, and kegged it last night. Started at 1.046 and ended at 1.010. Hydro sample tasted nice.

Scaled this to 10 Gal. but wish I had included Rice Hull in the mash... stuck Mash Tun equals thick mash.

Been a lurker for a while on this awesome forum, first post! Just wanted to say I made this except I used a 3lb can of raspberry puree. This came out excellent! Nice tartness from the raspberry, and a touch of spice from the rye. Everybody loved it at our Halloween party! Thanks for the recipe!!

Glad you liked it Callacave. I haven't done a fruit beer in years. Might be time to dust this one off...

Made this a while back. I added a pound of flaked rice with the OG recipe. Holy crap is this good! My family and friends preferred this over BM's Centennial Blonde. They killed two cases and it was a knock down drag out for the last six.

Was wondering if subbing flaked wheat for rye would be a good idea. Also what about using hallertau instead? I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow

I wouldn't see anything wrong with flaked wheat. I just think that the thing that takes this recipe in a different direction is to go with something a little bit out of the ordinary with using rye. Raspberry Wheat beers are a pretty common fruit beer, hence the rye substitution instead.

I haven't used hallertau in my young brewing journey yet, so I couldn't give any advice on it.

Callacave said:
I wouldn't see anything wrong with flaked wheat. I just think that the thing that takes this recipe in a different direction is to go with something a little bit out of the ordinary with using rye. Raspberry Wheat beers are a pretty common fruit beer, hence the rye substitution instead.it.

I know this sounds good. Just tying to do something more traditional for this batch.

Scaled this to 10 Gal. but wish I had included Rice Hull in the mash... stuck Mash Tun equals thick mash.

Hope you are still around.....I know this is an old post but would love to know what you came up with.

I am trying to convert this 3.5 gallon batch to either a 5 or 10 gallon. I guess it doesn't convert with simple math. Apparently there are other factors involved.

Then, I will convert to an extract recipe. I have read that flaked rye can't be steeped. Anyone try it or can explain on how to use this recipe as an extract without losing the flaked rye addition?

How important is it to find a Belgian variety of the ingredients?

This looks good. My next brew I think.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

What are other options besides frozen rasp for the rasp flavor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

I'm planning on making the exact same recipe at the begging of the post, but I'm not sure what yeast to use. I can only get wyeast at the LHBS, so I was thinking 1010 American wheat or1272 American ale? I'm looking for a crisp tart raspberry taste.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok need a little help. I brewed this one Sunday and followed the recipe at the begging of the post. I used the wyest American ale and made a starter which was fermenting very nicely for 48 hours. My gravity was one point off. I haven't seen much air lock activity but I get a rotten egg smell( suffer dioxide) has anybody had this problem. I think it's infected but not sure. Help

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sulfur is quite common during active fermentation in my experience. I would give it a week and would expect the sulfur to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed this Tuesday and subbed rye malt for flaked. Did a single infusion and hit 152 for an hour. OG was 1.046 pitched at 70*

Thought I would be safe leaving it alone while I went to work but was very wrong. My temp had spiked over 75 (even in my room with the windows open at 50* outside). Got home just in time to hear a pop.. Decided to throw a blow off tube on after that
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398972003.033524.jpg

So after a bit of research and looking at the ingredients I have on hand I'm going to give this a go in a few weeks with a few modifications.

I'll keep the malt bill the same.
I have Saaz so will use that instead of the sterling.
I have a pack of Brewferm Blanche so I'll use that instead of the WB-06.
I will just puree the frozen raspberries and throw them into the primary after a week or whenever the primary fermentation dies off.
Leave it for about a week and then bottle with 3 volumes of carbon.

I'll report back in the middle of next month when it should be ready.
Hopefully it will be a beer that both me and my SWMBO will enjoy. :ban:

Does this recipe call for 1.5 pounds or three pounds? I wasn't sure if I should put them in twice.

So after a bit of research and looking at the ingredients I have on hand I'm going to give this a go in a few weeks with a few modifications.

I'll keep the malt bill the same.
I have Saaz so will use that instead of the sterling.
I have a pack of Brewferm Blanche so I'll use that instead of the WB-06.
I will just puree the frozen raspberries and throw them into the primary after a week or whenever the primary fermentation dies off.
Leave it for about a week and then bottle with 3 volumes of carbon.

I'll report back in the middle of next month when it should be ready.
Hopefully it will be a beer that both me and my SWMBO will enjoy. :ban:

BTW I didn't get around to brewing this in the end so nothing to report back :eek:

Just pulled a sample before my party tonight. Seems to have a little more raspberry than I would like, but I will say that it is still absolutely delicious. I used over-ripe berries from my farm's raspberry patch, and I think that's why it may have a little more pink color and extra flavor. I will do this one again for sure. I thought it was great even before the fruit addition.

IMG_1972.jpg

Latest posts

Back