Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsinn

Reaction score
I used Edworts apfelwein recipe exactly as mentioned in a small, plastic demijohn.
After about 5 days of fermenting (nicely) I have now come across these small thick brown bubbles that have just recently started appearing amongst usual white froth.
1010913a.jpg

1010914.jpg

They don't look like blotches (as they seem to do in the second pic) they just look like brownish bubbles.
I'm sorry if the images are not clear but those are the best I could take =[.
I also tasted a little of the cider and it just taste like yeasty, normal cider.
What could be wrong or is everything fine?

for that cider you are looking at a 4 to 6 week fermentation.

I would step back and let it be!

I didn't see anything to be worried about yet, in those pictures

On your Yeasty taste, that is because there are 100's of millions of yeast cells floating around in that juice.

Again, the best thing you can do is put a date on the calender and forget you have it until that date!

-Jason

Welcome to HBT

Dont worry about it until it CLEARS. (Dude you are like only 5 days in) It could take up to a month. If you still have those brown bubbles on top after it clears - then taste it. If it tastes like goat piss, then you know its blown. I think its pretty hard to mess up apfelwein. I had to run a blow off to my last batch - yeasties are odd creatures at times. I would let them do their job and settle when they are done. Mine looked like that as well and it appears to taste fine. :)
-Me

I'm a little pissed off at the moment, my friend thought it may have been a problem and without letting me know he poured the contents using a teabag mesh and a funnel and poured the contents to a whole different demijohn =[.
There seems to be no yeast activity at all now so I put the demijohn into a small tub of warm water.
Are the chances now that it may get infected or it will result tasting bad?

It's bubbling again but really slowly, is it possible that within the process most of the yeast got away?

It's bubbling again but really slowly, is it possible that within the process most of the yeast got away?

No, a tea bag won't filter small enough particles to take out yeast. But, for heaven's sake, leave it alone! You'll aerate (oxidize it) by pouring and messing around with it. Hopefully he sanitized the equipment, but he may not have done that. In any case, cover it up with a blanket and walk away for one month. Don't even go near it- just leave it alone.

It's probably just about finished fermenting, and it needs some time to clear.

Back