Stout tastes too watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
So I recently just tapped into my stout I'd been fermenting for a while, but it really doesn't have much in the way of maltiness or mouthfeel. And no wonder, either; I've taken to calling it my "If It Coulda Gone Wrong Stout" due to the numerous mistakes made when brewing it. The biggest mistakes were forgetting to mash the flaked barley, leading me to spend an additional hour converting, and then following up by oversparging so I ended up with 6.5 gallons targeting a 5 gallon recipe.

But why not boil off that extra volume, you ask? Well, I had decided to try the "first wort hop" technique that I'd heard advocated, so I couldn't boil off any longer to get down to target (Incidentally, this was the only success with this beer. Fantastic hop character out of very few hops). I partially resolved the situation by freezing some of the beer, and then collecting the first half of what melted, which got me down to my 5 gallons, but by then it had already fermented very dry.

So basically, without adding malt extract and restarting fermentation, is there any way for me to add some body and mouthfeel? Would either lactose or maltodextrine help?

Thanks in advance!

Hehehe, thanks. Just wanted to check, as I haven't used maltodextrin before.

ChrisKennedy said:
I dare you to dump some lactose into your keg of carbonated beer. Nothing will happen, I swear!

Even being the potential butt of the joke that one made me laugh out loud :D.

The image of a rather spectacular geyser comes to mind.

RadicalEd said:
Even being the potential butt of the joke that one made me laugh out loud :D.

The image of a rather spectacular geyser comes to mind.

I can't remember what it was I added to a 3/4 full keg of beer once, but I do remember thinking, "Dump it in and quickly lock the lid down before it gushes." Guess what. Ever have one of those awkward "I can't get the damn lid on" moments? Lid was stuck, almost on, but not quite, which resulted in a small gap that beer was shooting across the room from.

Good times.

Back