First Brew in the Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got through bottling my first batch (Amber Ale) ... Even with my oxygen problem transferring to the secondary it was still pretty tasty. Warm, flat and all. Bottling went quite well except the bottling wand stuck a couple of times. Good thing I had something underneath to catch the excess. Hate to loose anything though. I had new bottles so I just set them in Star San but decided to rinse them our to get some of the bubbles out. Is there a better way to do that? The bottling wasn't too bad but the sanitizing was a pain. Oh well, I was looking for a good excuse for kegs. Second batch (Brown Ale) went into the secondary today.
Thanks,
Jimi

Star San is a no-rinse sanitizer...you just have to stop yourself from rinsing the foam. If you have to rinse it, it should be done with sterile water, but rinsing just really isn't necessary.

But I found when transferring to a secondary carboy as the brew filled up the foam ran out ... I was just trying to prevent a bunch of foam when bottling. I used tap water. Is that a real problem?
Thanks,
Jimi

JimiGibbs said:
But I found when transferring to a secondary carboy as the brew filled up the foam ran out ... I was just trying to prevent a bunch of foam when bottling. I used tap water. Is that a real problem?
Thanks,
Jimi
Could it be a problem? Possibly
Will it be a problem? Hard to tell, but probably not.

But ask yourself: why use a no-rinse sanitizer if you are going to negate it and rinse?

Back