Dry Hopping In Secondary - How Long :?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Any guidelines or thoughts about how long to dry hop if dry hopping in secondary ?

I'm making another attempt at Flying Dog Classic Pale Ale, and I've had 3/4 oz Cascades in the secondary for about a week... What do you think about another 3/4 oz for one more week ?

Its pretty tasty already.

Think another week and another 3/4 oz will make any difference ?

A week is about right. I've found that using a different hop for "seconds" works better than more of the same.

i have a question on this topic...
i have never dry hopped, but i would like to try. how, exactly, does it affect the beer? does it affect flavor? does it affect aroma? does it affect both? if so, what should i expect?
thanks.

Well, this is my first time doing dry hopping, but its my understanding that it most affects the flavor. The beer already had a good aroma, so I'm kind of doubtful that there is room for any more aroma to be added, but what I'm hoping to achieve is some nice citrusy hop flavor in the beer.

Thats my general impression of what to expect just based on my reading and research, I hope I'm not mistaken.

What I've read is flavor is more of a half-way through the boil addition (between bittering and aroma). Dry hopping is supposed to be all aroma...but I suspect some of this is semantics since what we call "flavor" is mainly olfactory anyway.

The first pale ale we made smelled great...the first one we dry-hopped smelled (and tasted) AMAZING!

Save your hops. 1 week is sufficient. Most crafts use 5-7 days for dry hopping.

Dry hopping adds such a nice intense aroma to the beer, that it really does come accross as "flavor'.

Dry hopping gives you the very sought after "whoosh" of hops characteristics, without any bitterness.

It is all aroma, but it's like BierMuncher said, so intense that it adds to the flavor perception. It's also nothing but fresh hop aroma, too, which doesn't come across even in a flameout addition.

TL

Ah I see. Let me ask you guys a followup question then. Considering its all aroma, and all about Fresh hop aroma, I suppose it would make sense to use the freshest hops available for dry hopping, and if I have older hops like from last year, maybe prefer those for use in the boil ??

I tend to dry hop with my older ones but in any case, I always keep extra hops in the freezer.

Man that Flying Dog Classic Pale is my kind of Beer!!!:mug:

Yes I love that beer too. This will be my third time to try and make it, I got pretty close before, but this time I think I'm going to have it nailed.

Funny thing is that when I started drinking it last summer I only got it because I wondered what "Pale Ale" tasted like. The first six pack I wasn't really sure if I liked it or not, I like grapefruit juice and I like bitter, but I just wasn't used to beer tasting that way.

Now, not including a couple of cases of my own that I make every month or 6 weeks or so I still buy a couple of six packs of it to drink every time I get payed.

Mutilated1 said:
...The first six pack I wasn't really sure if I liked it or not...Now, not including a couple of cases of my own that I make every month or 6 weeks or so I still buy a couple of six packs of it to drink every time I get payed.
THat's the way I was with O'Dells 5-Barrel Pale Ale.

Funny how hopped up beers tend to grow on you...and fast.

Alabama Brewer said:
where do you buy your Flying Dog Clone. Is it extract or AG?

there is a thread around here somewhere where we've discussed 2 or 3 variations of the recipe

This one I can vouch for is pretty darn good.
link

In fact the one that I'm making now, is almost that exact recipe just a bit less chocolate and a different yeast ( US-05 ).

Back