Super low gravity white IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I've been doing a couple batches of scaled down IPAs that clock in around 4% ABV and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Looking for something dry with little to no caramel sweetness and a good hop flavor without overpowering bitterness.

As far as parameters go I've been using an APA profile with the gravity at the bottom of the range and the IBUs at the top leaving a hop bitterness ratio around one which is closer to that of an IPA. So, next try I'm thinking something like this.

1.040SG, mashed around 152*
75% Rahr 2 Row
15% White Wheat
5% Caramel Something (maybe just carapils to keep it really light colored, maybe a low 10,20, or 40)

Hopped with Falconer's Flight at 60, 15, 5 and dryhop to about 40IBUS

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? I did a wheatish IPA last year similar to this that I liked, not sure how it will transfer to a scaled down version. Guess we'll find out. Only a 2.5 gallon test batch so I'm not worried about taking a chance.

Mash Lower and produce more fermentables?

So many ways to try...
  1. 20 minutes at 144 and then up to 152.
  2. mash at 148
  3. mash at 150
  4. or some combination of these

I would think a 4% beer would be pretty dry even if mashed a 152... I would check your mash temps.

I go higher 153-154 for my milds to make sure I get some residual sweetness.

DPB

Yeah I think it will be dry enough, I'm not super worried about that, I guess more on avoiding the caramel flavor was the goal. Was thinking of actually upping the mash temp... or maybe lowering it.... or maybe just letting it ride at 152*. Not sure here and I lost my notes from my last attempt at something like this. This will be my third run at what I guess I would call a session IPA or Americanized session beer and have found so far it's trickier to do than I initially thought.

What yeast are you using, should have an effect on this. Go with a good dry brit ale yeast if you aren't already. You might want to try some Fawcett optic to displace some of the Rahr.

I have a dry package of Nottingham laying around that I thought I would try out. Never used it before but want something that will lend a little bit of flavor to this.

Back