Galvanized Steel Derp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino18

Reaction score
I built mash tun from a cooler and used a galvanized iron coupling to connect to the spigot. It was only after I brewed a couple beers that I realized something doesn't look right.

The beer hasn't been consumed and I dumped it and will just replace the coupling. But should I take any further precautions? Would the coupling cause any further contamination that would call for replacing more parts (like the spigot, bottles, whatever)?

shouldn't cause any contamination to the equipment at all. you'll be fine, just keep stuff that touches the wort good metals :mug:

Why did you dump it? Galvanized steel doesn't hurt your brew. I've had a galvanized washer in my mash tun for a few years and have never had any problems. It's not as durable as SS, but it works just fine.

Thanks guys. There is about a quarter inch exposed to the wort when I drain it from the mash tun.

It would have to sit there a very long time release enough zinc to cause any harm. Not saying your point isn't valid, just saying that from personal experience it doesn't hurt when it's only in contact with the wort for an hour or so.

It would have to sit there a very long time release enough zinc to cause any harm. Not saying your point isn't valid, just saying that from personal experience it doesn't hurt when it's only in contact with the wort for an hour or so.

Probably true, but as easy as it is to use safer stainless, I would advise avoiding it.

Probably true, but as easy as it is to use safer stainless, I would advise avoiding it.

Well, I can't argue that. I just meant to reassure the OP that a single use, or even multiple uses, of galvanized isn't cause to dump entire batches of otherwise good beer.

Back