Dogfish - Raison D'Etre

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to San Antonio. Been waiting for a LONG time to get my hands on some DFH brews, as we can't get them in MO, or KS... :(

The only two that were available were the 60 Minute-IPA and Raison D'Etre. Honestly, I was looking forward to the IPA. Unfortunately, it didn't 'knock my socks off' like I was hoping.

That being said, the Raison D'Etre did. I really had NO idea what to expect but that is some great stuff!

Anybody got a good clone? I REALLY don't feel another day long road trip to get more... :)

I would love to some dogfish head, I lived in Texas for awhile but back to Kansas City so I feel your pain. Raison D'Etre is my favorite DFH. Good luck!

As noted in the brew365 recipe there was an extract version published in sams book titled extreme brewing or something like that. There was also a clone recipe published in zymurgy in 2007. I found it once years ago and printed it out. Some googling ought to dig that up as well. Raison d'etre was the beer that got me back into homebrewing after a 15 year hiatus.

I believe you should be able to sub extra light DME inplace of the pale malt for an extract recipe. Just stick it into a calculator first to figure out exactly how much to reach that OG. I have a feeling 13lbs is about 4-5lbs too much for 1.079.

there is a local brew shop near my home in central NJ that has an extract clone of DFH Raison D'Etre. They call it Raisonette Trappist and you can buy it off their web site. Brewer's Apprentice http://www.brewapp.com

Back