Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Chubby's across the street when in that area, simply because Delsandro's doesn't do fries!

If you make it out into the Blue Bell burbs, try Pudge's.

I've been told the dive bar in the middle of Flourtown (Cisco's) is the best around. I haven't ventured in there yet, but it is walking distance.

Pudge's is amazing. I drive past there every day going to work. They have weird hours though.

I heard you painted your walls Mythbusters style with a pumpkin beer...

Pudge's is amazing. I drive past there every day going to work. They have weird hours though.

I heard you painted your walls Mythbusters style with a pumpkin beer...

I believe "crappy" was an adjective used before "pumpkin". :D

Yeah, two days in on the ferment and US-05 blew the lid clean off the top of the ferment bucket, straight up into the duct work for the HVAC for the house. It was so loud, at first I thought the transfomer blew out behind the house!

I'll kick in another vote for Pudge's. When I worked in Plymouth Meeting we would either go there or to Phil's on the corner of Butler Pike and 73. I preferred Phil's because they had beer, but Pudge's had the better steaks (not by much, though).

Don't get me wrong, I like Pudge's, but I think it's more for the sheer size of the sandwich. Not sure it's necessarily better. I have heard good things about Phil's though. Still have yet to me it in there too! Oh, and there's what we are pretty sure is a mob front in Glenside, "Chick Orlando's". Pass it when coming home from the Glenside Union Jack's. Always says they have awesome Cheese Steaks. NEVER see anyone in there.

Congrats to Yards for taking Silver with Brawler and bronze for Poor Richards. Neshaminy With the Gold with Churchville, too. Nice showing

Anyone headed to Bistro On Bridge in Phoenixville Thursday (10/17)? Lee will be there pouring 7-8 different Stone beers, one being Enjoy By. Starts at 7pm. I'll be the semi balding guy with the short curly haired redhead next to him.

Met Lee from Stone at their beer dinner at Kildares in Manayunk. Great guy. I think I liked him even more cos my name is also Lee. But still, he gave me 250 bottle caps and a bought me a couple of beers which helped me like him more!

Anyone headed to Bistro On Bridge in Phoenixville Thursday (10/17)? Lee will be there pouring 7-8 different Stone beers, one being Enjoy By. Starts at 7pm. I'll be the semi balding guy with the short curly haired redhead next to him.

That could be fun. I'll have to see what I'm up to...

Met Lee from Stone at their beer dinner at Kildares in Manayunk. Great guy. I think I liked him even more cos my name is also Lee. But still, he gave me 250 bottle caps and a bought me a couple of beers which helped me like him more!

That doesn't sound like Lee. He bought beers??? :D

Full Disclosure: Lee and I are best friends, former roommates, etc, dating back to college days. He knows his stuff. More importantly, it vindicates me as a brewer because it hurts him to have to say that he likes my stuff (giving each other a compliment is the worst thing either of us has to do). :D

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

image-1061407908.jpg

We're getting those 3L bottles (Jeraboams) in at Keystone soon. Not the swing top version though. Just a cap or cork version I'm pretty sure. I was bugging our inventory manager to get them for months. I'm crazy excited...

Gitmoe said:
We're getting those 3L bottles (Jeraboams) in at Keystone soon. Not the swing top version though. Just a cap or cork version I'm pretty sure. I was bugging our inventory manager to get them for months. I'm crazy excited...

That's awesome. When and how much$ ?

That's awesome. When and how much$ ?

I think sometime next week. He seriously underestimated the demand for the bottles and didn't order nearly as many as I expected he would. Unless you stop by the day they come in I'm guessing you might miss this round. They are going to be a bit pricey. They'll be sold individually at around $20 each. I forget the exact price. I can try to get an exact day, or you can call the store and put some on reserve if you're interested. I'd suggest reserving them if you really want them.

Jereboams are IN STOCK! We have about 10 left. $19.95 each. They'll take Champagne corks and maybe 29mm caps. I didn't have time to play with them yet....

I haven't seen any posts anywhere on HBT, but wondered if any of you in the Philly area entered the Pale Ales Only Competition To Benefit Multiple Sclerosis put on by the Barley Legal Homebrew Club across the river in South Jersey. It's been almost a month with no score sheets and no replies to emails. Time to give up?

A friend's uncle is a monk at St Joseph's Trappist monastery in MA. They're in line to start the first sanctioned Trappist brewery in the US. My friend is there now and is doing a tasting of some test batches :rockin:

If you want large bottles, New Year's is a great time. I got lots of .75L Champagne bottles and a Magnum(1.5L) form people in my neighborhood. I think these bottles carb to a higher level with the same priming amount because the volume of a bottling wand leaves barely any head-space compared to the total volume.

So what have you guys been up to? Yesterday saw a decent amount of action, of the gravity kind.

Racked/Dry hopped 10 Gal House Pale
Racked/Dry hopped 10 Gal Double Black IPA (Stone 15th anniv clone)
Racked/Dry hopped 5 Gal Brown Ale
Racked 5 Gal Pumpkin Ale
Racked/Clarified 5 Gal of a cider from last fall
Racked/Clarified 6 Gal of a Chenin Blanc Riesling
Racked/Clarified 6 Gal of a Sauvign Blanc
Racked/Clarified 6 Gal of a Chilean Malbec

We were going to bottle two beers that need it, but I got sick of siphoning crap and cleaning buckets. :D Perhaps tonight...

mcbaumannerb said:
Nice - where did you get the sealing wax? And what did you use to melt/apply it?

I cheated and bought it from keystone Homebrew. Put some in a small mason jar (half pint?) and put that in a pot of boiling water.

It was pretty simple. I got 6 bombers and 25 bottles done with half the package. Then I just put the top on the jar and I can use the rest on another batch.

A few local Jenkintown/Glenside/Abington brewers are getting together to trade secrets (and brews) the first Saturday in November (11/2). Place and exact time TBD, so PM me with suggestions if interested.

Also, I've got an [thread=439004]electric-ready brew kettle[/thread] for sale in the classifieds, if anyone wants to save on shipping.

GLUB meeting is at Campbell's Place tonight. Forgot to mention that earlier. I was half asleep this morning and working when I posted...

Come out. We have beer. Pick the brains of pro brewers and pro LHBS employees.

I'm anticipating a Battle of the Browns as I think a few members are bringing brown ales. I'll have 2 myself.

Anybody going to the Barrel Brew at Keystone tomorrow? I'll of course be working at the shop but I love big brew days. It's crazy fun to see how everybody else brews...

Back