Lambic oxygenation/aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
All the reading I've done on lambic brewing has been mostly dealing with the traditional process, and of course, the idea of oxygenation is relatively new, so it's rarely - if ever - mentioned in regards to traditional brews. However, most still benefit from oxygenation.

But wild beers obviously have a more complex relationship with dissolved oxygen, and in all my research on lambic, I don't think I've found a single reference to or opinion on oxygenating the beer before pitching. I do know that oxygen is typically something you want to minimize as time goes on (as opposed to a Flanders Red), and I'm already set to control that.

So, I'm wondering if anybody can provide any information on oxygenating lambic immediately after chilling (and if AT ALL possible, some idea of optimal levels). Opinions are okay if you can provide a strong rationale, but references to published works (studies or even expert opinion) would be ideal.

I do not, and mine turn out fine. There are cultures in the lambic blends that are inhibited by oxygen which led me to skip that step.

-chuck

Okay... just got my oxygenation wand and will be making a lambic on Saturday, but I guess I'll have to wait to use it!

Back