Potential Carbing Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpac

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale that is about 8.5%. FG was about 1.012 if I remember correctly, then at bottling time I added a half ounce of hazelnut extract. Also added 4 oz priming sugar, boiled for a min or so. Now, 3 weeks later, I have very little carbonation. When I do a rigorous pour, I get no head, but as I drink, you can feel some slight carbonation in the liquid. I read on some site that i may want to uncap all the bottles, add a grain or 2 of dry yeast flakes and recap. the beer doesn't have too much residual sweetness, so i was thinking about adding a drop or 2 of maple syrup or molasses and adding the flakes. what do you guys think?

Oh, and it's been sitting at between 65-68 degrees, which I know is a little low.

Leave it alone. I like to let all of my stronger beers carb up for at least 6 weeks. I'm not exactly sure why it takes longer, but it just usually does. My guess is that at the end of a brew that big of a beer the yeast are more worn out and less healthy, and just need more time to do the job.

Adding yeast to a bottle could a risky thing. The last thing I bottled was a belgian tripell 9% most big beers takes longer as said in above post.

The high alcohol content in the beer is slowing down the yeast. Be patient. They just need a little more time.

Back