recommended temperature for secondary bulk aging aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I was wondering what would be an ideal room temperature for secondary bulk aging. I plan on letting my cider age for a minimum of 4 months.

Thanks

I don't have any sourced information but wines I have done are generally in the 70F-75F range and a cider fits that category.

I do ferment my cider in the basement where its generally 65F-70F and that's where it ferments as the cider isn't a near as high a alcohol content and ferments out fine. :mug:

I don't have any sourced information but wines I have done are generally in the 70F-75F range and a cider fits that category.

Champagne is aged in cellars somewhere around 50 F. I would have thought cider was closer to that. Fermentation needs to be complete before aging at cellar temperatures.

Champagne is aged in cellars somewhere around 50 F. I would have thought cider was closer to that. Fermentation needs to be complete before aging at cellar temperatures.

Yeah, I misread that and agree with you. 50F is optimal for a wine so would agree for the same with a cider but I'm at the whims of my fluctuating temps in my basement depending on what time of the year it is (nice 61F now).

Back