Dude - Red Eye Rye offshoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Dude,
I just racked my desert dry rye (similar to yours, in my sig) to secondary and had a taste. All I can say is BOLD rye bill. The dry-hop and a bit of time should balance this thing out a bit I assume. Yea, this is getting bottled. I'm going to send you this for the FFB prize so you can let me know what you think. Its a bit darker than I hoped as I had to sub carafa with black patent because of my LHBS no stockie carafa and I still used the same amt. I thought they were about the same SRM but aren't.

Hey fellas, Admittedly I haven't done much searching on the subject, but I wanted to post something before it slipped my mind...

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting some Rye into a future recipe somehow, but the problem is I'm still just an extract/steeping grain brewer. Is there anyway to work Rye malt/flake rye, etc. into an extract recipe? Can you simply steep this or would I have to partial mash or something?

How should I go about this?

Any assistance is appreciated! :)

It's my 1st rye and as you've noticed AG. I'm not sure about the steep. Maybe someone else would chime in. I'd think you'd need to steep a fair amount to get that flavor out of it but maybe not. And unclear if it'd be best to do with flaked rye or grain. Hmmm.. (Pauses and googles).

http://byo.com/recipe/172.html

I didn't read it but there is an extract version referenced towards the end. Google Steep Rye and see what else you can find.

DesertBrew, that looks like a great recipe. I think I'm going to try it out as a partial mash. I can only fit 4lbs of grain in my 2gl tun so I'll have to trim it some... Thanks for sharing!

Back