What to do with Excess Wert/Extract or whatever that stuff is called

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. I just poured in the wert or extract or whatever that stuff is called into the fermenter and pitched in the yeast. So far, its looking good. Anyway, I ended up with some extra wert that couldn't fit into my fermenter. Its only a little bit but would probably amount to about a pint or so of beer. I never throw away beer and I intend to apply that some rule to wert. I am thinking about getting another fermenter and then sticking in that extra wert in that new fermenter. Is this possible? So far, the wert has been sitting in my living room (in a sanitized bottle) for about a day or so. I know it seems stupid but I hate to see good beer (or potentially good beer) go to a waste, especially after all the work it took. Throwing good wert away seems like, well, an abortion. Any thoughts out there?

dilute it to 1.040 and freeze it. then boil it for a few minutes and use it for a starter next time you need one. or you can freeze it and use it instead of priming sugar when you're ready to bottle.

sure, pour it into another fermenter and pitch some yeast into it - try a different type of yeast and keep track of which beers come from which fermenter and you can compare and contrast them later, like a real experiment!

Its spelled wort. The extract is the liquid or powdered malt extract that you mixed and boiled with water. The wort is the sweet swe et liquid that we put yeast into and then turns into beer. :mug:

Edit: upon review, the advice above is probably best, its really not very much wort, despite your desire to waste anything.

I vote, begin scaling your recipes so that all intended fits into the fermenter. What size fermenter you using? Is this a common occurrence for you?

dilute it to 1.040 and freeze it. then boil it for a few minutes and use it for a starter next time you need one. or you can freeze it and use it instead of priming sugar when you're ready to bottle.

+1 A little krausening action would be cool to try out.

I'm using a one gallon fermenter. I want to move up to the big leagues and go up to 5 gallons. But, I live in a tiny NYC apt. and not too sure whether it can all fit in my place. Is it much harder to brew 5 gallons than 1 gallon?

I ended up with some extra wert that couldn't fit into my fermenter.

Do you mean that it was beyond the 5-5.5 gallon mark or you actually filled the fermenter to the top? I only ask because you may want to think about rigging up a blowoff if it was filled to the top.

Beyond that I also recommend saving it and using it for a starter on your next batch.

I'm using a one gallon fermenter. I want to move up to the big leagues and go up to 5 gallons. But, I live in a tiny NYC apt. and not too sure whether it can all fit in my place. Is it much harder to brew 5 gallons than 1 gallon?

Nope, just need a bigger brew pot - take a look in the begineers brewing section for sticky threads and how to's on extract with steeping grains brewing. Or take a look at the first two chapters of www.howtobrew.com Welcome to the obsession!

Boil it down to a thick syrup and top pancakes or ice cream. You could also put that thick wort syrup back into the beer in the secondary depending on what type of style you brewed.

Boil it down to a thick syrup and top pancakes or ice cream. You could also put that thick wort syrup back into the beer in the secondary depending on what type of style you brewed.

Concentrated hop bitterness on pancakes? You have bold taste buds!

I'm a little confused. Did you brew all grain or extract? Did you just throw some liquid extract (it has the consistency of a thick syrup) into your fermenter and add yeast or did you boil the wort with water and add hops, then cool it and add yeast?

Back