Hemp beer anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmc

Reaction score
Well I was out and about Dublin last nite and went into the new Porterhouse bar (they have 2 already in Dublin - it's a microbrewery) and after ordering my usual, I noticed signs for a Hemp Beer. So I had to have one.
The aroma and flavour was very reminiscient of Holland for me - a definite smell and taste of Weed|hemp|ganja|bud. But unfortunately there cannot have been any THC in the beer, as it's totally illegal in Ireland. Shame. Tough beer to get through though - wouldn't have too many in a night, the taste was so strong, it kind of overpowered any other flavours. Nice for a change though!
Anyone else ever come across a Hemp beer???
Here's the blurb for it in case anyone wants to try recreate it...

"Using pure crystal, ale and wheat malts, spiced with nugget, chinook and cascade hops with a late kettle addition of hemp, this golden pale ale weighing in at 5%ABV possess a wonderful herb characteristic."

http://www.theporterhouse.com/
in case you're over in Dublin.

Interesting use of hemp, which isn't quite the same as it's cousin that has all the THC. Rope, clothing, paper, oil, lots of uses for the plant. Hemp clothing is tougher and longer wearing than linen, and much more so than cotton.

Just think... Brewing weed beer would get you stoned. Drinking weed beer would get you stoned. Stoned and drunk. Wow. I get parinoid just thinking about it.

There was an article in BYO a couple months ago about 10 'wild' recipes. One was a Hempen Ale. Here's a link: http://***********/feature/1294.html

Well, THC is soluble in alcohol, right? So, if you dry hopped a good amount of it... or maybe it would work better if you first isolated the THC with vodka and then just added it into the wort? PURELY hypothetically thinking here :rolleyes:

That could slightly increase the cost of production. I am not very familier with the cost of weed, but it doesn't just grow on tree's you know... or... hmm wait nevermind. :)

Interesting.... I had it on a pizza once, under a doctor's close supervision , of course, but never in beer. Perhaps our Bro. AlaskaAl(e) could experiment for us. Simply for curiosity's sake. I think brewing quantities are semi- legal in his part of the world.

sudsmonkey said:
Interesting.... I had it on a pizza once, under a doctor's close supervision , of course, but never in beer.

Yeah, I had some in a brownie once...also under the close supervision of a doctor...at least he said he was a doctor...had kind of a long name...dr john dr john i'm your medicine man, or something like that anyway I think...if I could just remember :(

ya can buy the ingredients for it in a shop in holland! :)
How much would you need for a 5gallon batch??? probably not a lot for the effect, but a fair bit for the flavour/aroma.

sudsmonkey said:
Interesting.... I had it on a pizza once, under a doctor's close supervision , of course, but never in beer. Perhaps our Bro. AlaskaAl(e) could experiment for us. Simply for curiosity's sake. I think brewing quantities are semi- legal in his part of the world.

I wish I could help you (really, I do ;) ) But the Air Force frowns on such things. Hemp, and it's close relative, is quite abundant up here and is even legal to a certain extent. Unfortunately, however, Uncle Sam has a zero tolerance policy.

AlaskaAl(e) said:
I wish I could help you (really, I do ;) ) But the Air Force frowns on such things. Hemp, and it's close relative, is quite abundant up here and is even legal to a certain extent. Unfortunately, however, Uncle Sam has a zero tolerance policy.
Well then don't give them any! Keep it all for yourself.
Simple :)

A friend of mine once tried a mushroom brew along w/ a Hemp brew. The mushroom brew was quite disusting, as i was told, but, it made him stupid for 4 hours. I cant imagine mushroom flavor in beer. But im sure it was really nasty.
I think you would have to use a huge amount of Marij. for a 5 gall batch. Pirce increase of 10,000%.

I once had a beer that was brewed with hemp seeds. It tasted like smoking seeds (I imagine, uh....). It was a micro-brew that was sold in plenty of local stores, but it didn't last very long. Tastes like $h!t.

Frankly, I think it's best to keep the two seperate. They have a nasty habit of ending the evening early when enjoyed together.

However, if you enjoy both, my local HBS is called Brew & Grow. They sell home-brew supplies AND indoor growing supplies. I'm sure that most of you grow your barley and hops hydroponically in a basement under a High Pressure Sodium light, right?

[EDIT] Ironically enough, both times I've been to Amsterdam, I didn't see any weed beers. And considering that A'dam is the home of strains like Blueberry, Sweet Tooth, Bubble Gum and others AND the home of Heinecken and Amstel, you'd think you'd find a weed brew there if there was a good one to be found.

kenmc said:
ya can buy the ingredients for it in a shop in holland! :)
How much would you need for a 5gallon batch??? probably not a lot for the effect, but a fair bit for the flavour/aroma.

Most recipes I've seen call for 1/2 ounce of buds (high quality only) or 4-6 oz of clippings if you just want the flavor. Just like smoking it, there's a direct coorelation between price and taste. Figuring that a half-oz of primo goes for about $240 in these parts, I'd say that it would be hard to justify the price. You're looking at about $7.00 per bottle. And how comfortable would you be tossing out the trub?

Cheesefood, sounds like you need to head over to Bloomington...I'm leaving now...meet you over at Dragonfly's place Thursday morning.

Dragonfly said:
$240??

I'm (hypothetically) very, very sorry ;)

I don't do that anymore. I quit it way back at the end of May. Got a kid on the way, have to be responsible Dad.

But yes, at $60 an eighth with no discount. I paid what's known as the "I don't have good connections" tax.

Now I'm just focussed on beer and school. I'm getting my MBA, brewing beer, heading up a new division at my company AND trying to learn to be a father. I'm too busy to slow myself down. Drugs are bad, mmkay? I can't even begin to explain how much money I'm saving now that I pee clear.

El Pistolero said:
Cheesefood, sounds like you need to head over to Bloomington...I'm leaving now...meet you over at Dragonfly's place Thursday morning.

Meet me in Peoria at Big Al's.

God, I miss living in Peoria. Best time of my life. Went to Bradley, worked at the Pere Marquette, so I got free admission into Big Al's and Club Cabaret. Had friends that bartended everywhere. Man, I miss being 21.

[EDIT]

Just noticed that he's in Bloomington IN, not IL. Wrong state for the statement above. Man, the IPA I made is good now that it's fridge conditioned.

El Pistolero said:

wake n bake it is lol... nah f'real tho - I've been cuttin way way back cause school's comin up - gotta keep myself sharp! How long dyou think we can continue this thread be4 the mods ban us?

and cheesefood, I'll be sayin the exact same thing here in a few years - only, replace Big Al's & co with the Bluebird, the vid, kilroy's, sport's, nick's, upland & BBC

Humboldt Brewing Company here in Humboldt County makes a hemp beer. Suprise suprise. A hemp beer out of Humboldt County ;)

There was another thread on this subject a few months ago.

I thought I remembered another thread on this...but I couldn't find it. I think it's the thread that led me to this place one day when I was googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back