When to rack to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I brewed an abbey brown kit from AHS about 3.5 weeks ago. OG (1.071) was right on, and checked it again two weeks later and it was right at the target FG (1.012). Checked again 3 days later and it was still at 1.012, so i transferred it to the secondary. So, as of today, it's been 3.5 weeks since brew day. I was thinking about cold crashing tomorrow until Saturday, then transferring it to the keg where i would slowly for carb it for about a week. That would give me a total of about 5 weeks from when i brewed it to when i would potentially drink it. Does this sound OK, or should i leave it a little longer before racking to the keg?

That sounds perfect! The beer may still taste a bit "green", but you can keep it in the keg for a few more weeks and it should be great. Really, you can keg as soon as the beer has stopped fermenting and has somewhat clarified. I always "cold condition" my beers in the keg for a week or two before serving.

I always "cold condition" my beers in the keg for a week or two before serving.

What is the benefit of doing this? To get the yeast out of suspension and clarify it a bit more??
Im just getting started in kegging so I was just curious. Thanks

Sounds like you got a good plan there. In my experience it takes longer than a week to properly force carb a beer (short of the shack/roll method or hitting with high psi for a couple of days....). 3 weeks on the gas, at the reccommended psi, in the keggerator is usually perfect for 3 reasons. The beer will properly carb ,condition some more, and the beer will clear up for ya....

Back