Indoor boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyber

Reaction score
OK, so I realize this is a bit of a subjective question but I would like some input none-the-less.

I am the the beginning stages on constructing an electric keggle with the goal of doing indoor BIAB in my kitchen. After browsing this site for a few weeks I came across some posts in which people . However, no one really mentions home much of a problem the steam really is. That is, how much steam is really produced with boiling 5+gal indoors and what are the dangers of poor ventilation?

Typical evaporation rates are about 10-20% depending on several factors.

That means you could have about .5 - 1 gallons of water evaporating into the air every time you brew. It's not a hazard but if it condenses it could be a *****.

If your kettle is electric there a few dangers. But poor ventilation is a HUGE issue (Carbon Monoxide) if your using gas though.

I am willing to bet you release more steam during a hot shower than you will during your boil. Use your stove's exhaust fan, and open a window if you need to. Worst case scenario you could use a fan to disperse the moisture so that it doesn't start condensing.

I'll second the condensation comment. I used to not have a vent above my stove and the water started condensing on the cabinets and dripping back into the beer (it was winter and the house was ~68F).

Back