Brewjolais

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to see what you guys had to add. Im trying to make an IPA based off of a beer I had in New Zealand.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.018
IBUs: 65.2
SRM: 15.2
ABV%: 6.6

-Dry Extract 7lbs
-Crystal Malt 60L 12 oz
-Chocolate malt 2 oz
-1oz Green Bullet 12.8% @ 60 min
-.5oz Green Bullet 12.8% @ 45 min
-.5oz Riwaka 6% @ 15 min
-.5oz Riwaka 6% @ 0 min aka Flameout
-1oz Riwaka 6% @ Dry hopped

Yeast: Wyeast Labs London Ale III

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sounds nice. Haven't tasted any beers with Riwaka yet, but it sure sounds very interesting. Thinking about making an APA with Riwaka and Amarillo to get a real passionfruit punch... Dunno about the chocolate malt, though. I'm really not a big fan of too much roasted flavors in IPA's, but if that's your thing, go for it. I feel that it often blurrs the hop flavors and aromas, though.

Keep us posted, then. If it turns out well, maybe I'll order some Riwaka soon... =)

just brewed on friday, forgot to update but the scent of the Riwaka hops coming from the airlock smells like a delicious blend of passionfruit and grapefruit. I can't wait to see how it tastes when i come back from bonnaroo next week!

Oh and i added the chocolate almost purely on the basis of color, which is why i added such a small amount, although a tiny bit of roast flavor i think would do ok.

Not sure which Brewjolais you had, but if it was this year's, I believe all the hops were NZ Cascades.

In any case, that sounds like a very tasty beer. Enjoy :)

yeah this year they changed it up, but last year when i was working in the macs brewery in wellington it was def. Riwaka hops

Back