Wood Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

df_2112

Reaction score
In getting some ideas together for upcoming recipes the thought occurred to try some different types of wood to age with.

Aside from the typical oak beans and cubes, I was curious to know if anyone:

1) Has made their own cubes and how?

2) What types of wood people have had success with?

-

I believe you can get fresh untreated logs and cut them into cubes then bake them to kill off any bacteria, bugs, fungus. Plus it helps dry it out faster. I don't know of any other woods you would want to put flavors in your beer outside of oak? I smoke all the time and have not really come across much else that would taste good in a beer. I know AB uses "beechwood" but I don't think its for flavor.

Apparently not all types of oak are suitable (red oak comes to mind for some reason). You should research this a little more before proceeding.

I thought I had tasted a beer not long ago that used ash or birch. I also thought of cherry as something to try. As I recall the beer had a subtle aged flavor with a nice somewhat sweet/floral taste. I thought it was pretty good at the time.

Back