Air lock during cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last couple of times I've cold crashed my carboy I've had a hard time keeping the airlock full....The fridge seems to evaporate it really quick. Does vodka not evaporate? (Is that why so many people are using this?) Or do most of you just put a carboy stopper in (since fermentation is done anyway)?

Thanks

When you cold crash the pressure inside your carboy decreases relative to the atmospheric pressure. The liquid in your airlock is being forced into your carboy. Better make sure that stuff is sanitary.

I don't think it is evaporating, I think you are experiencing "suck back" into the carboy due to the temp. change. I would remove the lock and just cover the fermenter w/ saran wrap and a rubber band to form a tight seal.

When is everyone cold crashing exactly. Is is just before you are going to bottle, and are you bringing the temp back up? What temp are you bringing the brew down too?

Thanks,
Noob

Cold Crashing to 32*F helps to force yeast and proteins to flocculate out prior to racking off the trub.

It just another means to aid clarification.

If you are already fermenting in a temp controlled environment, why not use it?

Well..I just put my latest in the fridge (Ed' Haus Ale) and I just used the aluminium foil. Thanks for the help!!

If you're worried about dislodging the tinfoil, a clean and sanitized half-pint mason jar inverted over the mouth of the carboy does swimmingly.

3pc airlocks will suckback like a werewolf.

S-type (tradtional bubbler) airlocks will not. So if you want a filled airlock when temps are decreasing, swap to an S-type.

Latest posts

Back