Oberon Clone AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preiff

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have only been brewing for several months and am getting ready to start on my 5th batch. What can I say, I'm addicted! There is so much beer in my place that I could stay buzzed for months straight. Anyway, I came across an Oberon clone kit (extract w/ grains) on Austin Homebrew Supply and I was wondering if anyone has tried this or has any suggestions for such a recipe. I am from Kalamazoo, MI (home of Bells) and the release of Oberon each year has become a local holiday marking the end of winter. What better way to celebrate than with a homebrew honoring it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Happy Brewing!:mug:

I have come to the conclusion after trying to clone this thing 100 times that The yeast from the bottles has to be harvested to acuratley clone it.

There are lots of recipes out there for Oberon. The consensus seems to be basically 50/50 wheat and 2-row (or wheat LME) and saaz hops. I did this with some cultured 2-hearted ale and am pretty disappointed. I would love to hear some feedback on the AHS recipe and am curious if it is pretty much the same recipe.

I am planning on trying again with some cultured Oberon yeast when baseball season begins.

The clone recipe gives me two yeast options: White Labs American Hefeweizen (WLP320) or Wyeast American Wheat (1010). Do these sound like good strains to use? I think I'm going to go ahead and order and just see how it turns out. Hey, you never know till you try it. Maybe it'll be good. I'll keep everyone posted. A cold Oberon sounds great right about now.

Also, how do you go about harvesting yeast from a bottle? This is all so new to me. Sorry about the noob question, but what better way to learn than from brewers with experience.

The clone recipe gives me two yeast options: White Labs American Hefeweizen (WLP320) or Wyeast American Wheat (1010). Do these sound like good strains to use? I think I'm going to go ahead and order and just see how it turns out. Hey, you never know till you try it. Maybe it'll be good. I'll keep everyone posted. A cold Oberon sounds great right about now.

Also, how do you go about harvesting yeast from a bottle? This is all so new to me. Sorry about the noob question, but what better way to learn than from brewers with experience.

I have one going now with Wlp 320 and I added sweet orange too it, Without some sort of citrus notes it will be too bland and not oberon. If this doesn't work im going to use a wit strain. The actual Oberon strain is derived from Wit yeast that cannot be bought anymore.

How much orange flavoring are you adding? Is it orange rind or just a flavoring? When are you adding it (boil, primary, secondary)?

The prosecution rests.

Latest posts

Back